Monday, October 29, 2007

Worm Post, Part II

I should be happy that people are reading my blog. And I am. I really am.

But come on, people!! I'm not a bad mom because I played a role in facilitating the quick demise of Kael's silk worms. Do you not understand that we're talking about thousands of eggs?!! And if they hatched then I would have had thousands of silk worms crawling in my house?!! Ugh -- just thinking about it is making my skin crawl. The entire time we fostered those worms I did not touch them once. I physically could not do it. If Truong was out of town, then the worm box remained full of worm poop because not even with a full bio-hazard suit would I have been able to touch them. I do remember one time I had to clean it and had to instruct Kael to do all the manual labor. From 2 feet away.

I should have gotten an idea of how he felt about them after one fatality. (Getting "hate mail" from the last post does wonders for jogging my memory.) Anyway, I remember one night Kael was goofing with his magnifying glass to get a close-up look of one of the worms when he accidentally squashed it: the magnifying glass fell on the worm and caused severe internal injuries resulting in juices being squirted out. I don't remember the exact words said, but it was something to the effect of "Oh no! You hurt the worm! I think you killed it/it's going to die... but it's OK. It was an accident."

I remember the look on his face. It was one of absolute horror and shock. So Truong and I immediately back-pedaled and told Kael that we were mistaken and the worm actually looks OK. But maybe we should put him back in the box so he can rest and get better. Kael immediately said: "Yeah, he's [the worm] OK. I didn't hurt it. He'll be OK. Let's just let him rest." And he kept repeating it: "I didn't hurt him... he'll be OK."

Of course, the next morning, the worm is curled up in a tight little ball, as dead as dead can be. Truong threw it away and we swore the death to secrecy, never to be spoken of in front of Kael. When Kael asked about the worm, we just pointed out a healthy one and said "Look, there he is! He's all better now!"

Did I feel guilty about lying to my child? Sure.
Do I regret it? No way!

(It has crossed my mind that perhaps Truong and I should start prepping ourselves for the S-E-X talk since we've been so ill-prepared for all the important talks thus far.)


P.S. Yes, I've been getting "hate mail" letting me know that it was I who killed my son's silk worms by tossing them in the trash. Apparently these persons did not like that I glossed over the real reason why the worms were no longer on this Earth and wanted a public confession.

Even my own flesh and blood family is demanding that I get Kael more worms.

I can't believe I've written how many blog entries and I get the most response over the dead silk worms?!

No comments: