Tuesday, October 16, 2007

He loves her. He really loves her.

Last Friday was Share Day "D" at school so Kael had to bring in something beginning with the letter D. He has 2 dogs he sleeps with but I wasn't going to let him drag them all over school, to be touched by 11 other (very nice but potentially germ infested) kids to be brought back home and snuggled to sleep with. I've got my own germs to eradicate -- I don't need more.

Anyway, we decided to bring a dinosaur to school. It was a dinosaur that he received from the Baez family for his birthday. It's a pretty cool dino - you press a button on its back and it actually walks, complete with head sway, tail swing and stomping noise. It also gives out a scary dinosaur roar. I have to admit I like it too and will press the button just to watch it lumber across the floor.

For some reason, Malia (the fearless child Dad calls Godzilla) is totally freaked out by this dinosaur. The first time it walked, she wigged out and ran away with a look of sheer fright on her face. It's gotten better now as she's gotten used to having it around. First she ran away. Then she hid behind me. Then she stayed to look but the instant it looked like it was walking towards her, she'd freak. Then (this is my favorite) she stopped walking away from it and instead would take toys to chuck it at the dinosaur (from a distance but still... at least she's getting over her wariness of it). She's still not enamored with it by any means and she still keeps her distance but now they can at least be in the same vicinity. I didn't pay much attention before, but now that I'm playing back incidences in my head, I've noticed that Kael will activate the dinosaur and purposefully point it in her direction just to get some giggles.

So back to Share Day... I picked up Kael and had him climb in the car (he's not buckled in yet). I go to the other side, take Malia out of the Ergo (a baby backpack because I can't carry her, grab Kael, hold his schoolwork and most likely carry his lunch box all at the same time) and strap her in. I then head back to the trunk to completely take off the Ergo and fold it up. While I'm doing this, I hear Malia yelling: "Nononono!!!" Then I hear Kael: "He's gonna get you! He's gonna eat you! ROOAARRRR!"

I walk over to Kael's door to strap him in and can you guess what I saw?

Kael with the dreaded dinosaur held inches away from Malia's face. He's turned it on so it's waving its head, making the scary roaring noise. Malia, trapped with a look of almost-fear on her face, like when you are in line for the roller coaster and you are kind of scared but know that you shouldn't be but can't help it. She's yelling "nononono!" and Kael's telling her it's going to eat her and she's literally trapped in the car seat, strapped in tight. She can't move to get away, she can only turn her head and he's tracking the dinosaur to wherever her face is, with a scary, mean chomping-eating-dinosaur look on his face. She wasn't crying, she was sort of pissed off, trying not to be scared.

It was straight from the "How to Torture Your Baby Sister" Handbook. A Classic. I knew in my heart of hearts that I should have stopped it, that I should not have laughed, that I should have rescued my youngest child from the torment of her big brother... but I didn't. I figured it was payback time for all the rotten things she's done to him. And let me tell you: the look of satisfaction on his face was hilarious. The boost of big brother self esteem in him was definitely worth the few minutes of torture Malia went through.

I just wonder when Kael will realize that females have a long memory.

No comments: