Wednesday, October 3, 2007

"Mom, can we eat boogers?"

NNNOOOOOO!!!!

Followed by:
DON'T EAT YOUR BOOGERS!!!!!!

And then:
I MEAN IT KAEL!!! DO. NOT. EAT IT!!

I start twisting around to frantically look at him, making sure he's not eating anything he's not supposed to. All while (of course) I'm driving him to school.

I see him with his finger poised in front of him. There's some relief that the finger isn't near his mouth so at least I caught him in time.

Me: Kael! You don't eat your boogers! Do you hear me?? You never eat your boogers!
Kael: Why not, mommy?
Me: Because you just don't!
Good one, Sonya. Let me take some notes here.

Kael: How come? How come I can't eat my boogers?
Me, trying again: Boogers are gross. No one eats their boogers.

I get a blank stare.

Me again, trying for the scientific angle: Your nose makes gooey stuff that catches dirt and dust and all the icky stuff in the air. So what you pick out of your nose, the boogers, it's filled with all that dirty stuff. So if you eat your boogers, you're really eating dust and dirt and that icky... gooey... stuff.

The look I get clearly tells me: "So what? I've done worse."

Think, Sonya, THINK!!

Then it hits me....
Me: Boogers are nose poop! If you eat your boogers, then you're eating poop! And you don't want to eat poop, do you?? EWWWW!

I score a direct hit as I can see him looking at his finger in revulsion. And since he's not anxiously spitting or rubbing his tongue in disgust, and instead he's looking at his offending finger as if it just sprouted 3 hairs and an eyeball, I can safely assume he did not, in fact, ingest the booger and only asked in scientific curiosity.

No comments: