Thursday, October 4, 2007

What a difference a year makes.

People who haven't seen Kael in a while always tell me what a little boy he's become. I nod my head and say the appropriate words but it never really hit me exactly what they meant. I figure: sure, he's sprouted a few inches and he's probably leaned out some too -- after all, he's got a 2T waist but wears a 4T-5T length that makes finding a decent fitting pair of pants a personal hell -- so, sure, he's a "little boy."

A couple of weeks ago Kael took his 2007 school pictures and I just got them today. I had an image in my mind of what his pictures would look like: huge innocent smile (you know, the one that tells you everything's OK in the world), eyes crinkled up, some face chub. Much like the picture he took last year at age 3:



Do you see the slightly awkward yet shy smile that glows with the innocence all babies have? The smile that no matter what mood you're in, you have to smile yourself when you see his?












Instead what I got was a picture of.... a little boy! Gone is my little baby and in his place is this familiar stranger... this boy boy who's having conversations about the demise of dinosaurs and worries about the fate of the world in the event of a catastrophic asteroid hit.



What happened to the little 6 pound, 14 ounce baby I took home from the hospital? The little baby who splashed in the dog water bowl? Who chased the cats and ate their food? Who hated the feeling of grass on his feet?







Looking at Kael's 2007 school picture makes me realize that (*gasp*) I'm actually a real mother, with a school-aged child who's growing up and becoming his own person with his own views of the world, and his own quirky likes and dislikes. I'm having so much fun with my kids that I never really truly saw myself as being a mother mother (like my mom mother). Now that I can actually see what people mean when they say "Kael's becoming a little boy", I realize that he is in fact growing up before my very eyes and that every day I have with him as my little baby-boy is even more precious than it was yesterday.

Even on days when I'm completely "Why, Mom"-ed out and just pray for 5 minutes of peace and quiet.

I said... QUIET!!

1 comment:

Crys said...

Jimmy wants to ask why Kael is dressed in orange every year? Orange is not the new black, especially for Asians. :)