Monday, October 1, 2007

The Community Shower

Since Malia's first (ice cold because I forgot to turn on the water heater) shower in the RV she's been hating showers and screams bloody murder each time she steps into the stall. We've been able to shower with her in our arms when we visit my family up north but we haven't been able to put her down.

But something happened the past couple of weeks. I don't know if it's from watching the rest of the family shower, or wanting to copy Kael, or fear of missing out on something - but she's been wanting in. I took a chance and showered with her -- and now she loves it. She roams around the shower stall, pulling down all of Kael's dinosaurs (which really drives him crazy), opening her mouth trying to drink in the water falling from above and -- here's my favorite part -- rubbing all the lids of the shampoo and conditioner bottles and then rubbing "the soap" on her belly and legs. It's very cute. Clearly she's been watching (with her nose pressed against the glass) and taking notes.

Tonight I took Malia upstairs to shower and we were almost done when Kael came strolling in. I turn away to rinse Malia and the next thing I know - the shower door's opened and in steps a naked Kael. His face is totally lit up and he thinks it's the coolest thing -- to have a family shower. Dad comes walking in and stops mid-stride, struck dumb by the crowded shower stall. I can tell Truong thinks it's cool too and I can see the wheels turning. So I give him a preemptive "NO," just in case. Our shower does not fit a family of four!

Malia gets out first. The thing about Malia is: you have to get the hood on her first, then wrap the towel around her tight, and then pick her up, like a baby burrito. Otherwise you've got a wet naked baby streaking down the hallway, leaving wet spots on the carpet. I know this from experience. And when she's wet, she's very slippery (also from a learned experience).

Kael is a little easier. I can usually get him to stand still long enough to dry him with no incident, but the instant the towel's off him, HE goes streaking down the hallway, or jumping on my bed, screaming NAKED BOY, NAKED BOY - I'M A NAKED BOY!

But hey, at least he's dry, right?

No comments: