Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What's Worser than Worst?

Remember this game?

What's Worser than Worst:
Single parenting two young children while your spouse is out of town for three days?
or
Parenting two sick children?


ANSWER:
Both. At the same time.

Yes, that's right. You read that correctly. Truong is in the Bay Area for three days (one day is spent golfing so he's really "hard at work"...) and both kids are down and out for the count. It's hard enough solo parenting but when you add sick kids to the mix... ugh. It's a tragedy. A flipping tragedy.

Kael is actually really sick. He hasn't been this sick in a long time so I think his body is making up for it. He's got a bad head cold so he's coughing and hacking and coughing some more; his nose a veritable snot factory, working overtime; he's got a fever; and he's just feeling out of whack. Malia is getting congested and I'm doing my best to get a handle on her germs before they declare an all out victory and take her down too. So far we're at a stand still: she's not getting worse, but neither is she getting better.

I just don't know what to do with Kael. He's sick, but not sick-as-a-dog sick enough to take him out completely. His fever is around 101.xx so it's just enough to annoy. Unless he's really uncomfortable, I don't like to medicate fevers less than 102.3 -- I prefer to let his body take care of it on its own as that's the purpose of fevers: to fight infections. In the past, when he's gotten sick, he gets hit with a high fever (102.5+), he's a blob for a day, the fever breaks at night and he's fine the next day, life as usual. But this cold/flu sickness has him in its clutches and just won't let go.

So would I be a bad parent to wish a higher a fever on my child? I just want it gone. And if it won't get gone, then I want it sick enough to make him a blob. Because what I've got now is a 4 year old who's sick enough to not go to school, to not take to the park and to not visit the library but well enough to still want to do something and is driving me absolutely bananas at home because he can't be allowed in public to spread his germs to unsuspecting bystanders within coughing range.

No comments: