Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I'm so excited. And I just can't hide it.

Sorry for not updating sooner. I've been a little busy trying to adjust to life with 3 children. Not sure if I'm successful yet. Well, actually, I know I'm not there yet. The kids' are on vastly different schedules (Kael and Malia vs. Taede) and I'm trying to get used to the every 2-3 hour nursing around the clock deal that I'm pretty beat. I have a family calendar hanging on the fridge that I treat as my lifeline. I've written everything down that I need to remember and I'm constantly checking it, making sure I didn't do something stupid, like leave a kid someplace.

That's actually my biggest fear: that I'll forget and leave Malia at the store or Taede in the car. At least Kael has a set routine: school everyday so I'd have to be brain dead to forget him.

hmm.... there are times.... well, let's not go there. The important thing to remember is I still have all my children.

This will be a quick post because I'm tired and I have a big day going solo tomorrow (Truong will be in Sacramento and San Francisco until Friday night). We just had Kael's birthday party. I think it was a pretty successful party. All the kids had a great time and parents were able to sit back and relax. Kael requested Pump It Up (again) and since I'm 7 days post partum, I'm glad I agreed. It's an easy party - all I have to do is provide some food and they take care of the rest.

I gave Kael 10 spots for friends to invite, knowing that these 10 friends would have siblings, making it a total of 20. It was hard to fill up the spots since he's accruing more friends every year, and we obviously don't want to forget friends from the past. With everyone going to different schools and not seeing each other as much, Kael naturally selected the kids he interacts with the most. This included some Gymboree families he's known since 9 months old, some neighbors and some schoolmates. Overall it was a good mix of kids with everyone getting along quite nicely. I think a sweaty, smiling kid is a pretty great indicator of a good time.

Once at home, we told Kael that he could open his presents after his shower and PJ's. I've never seen him move so fast in my life. We ohh'ed and ahh'ed the gifts. He graciously allowed Malia to hold a couple of them and even gave her some cards to keep that caught her eye.

I know this sounds like a totally random post, but keep with me -- there's a point to it.

By far, his favorite "present" wasn't a present at all. It was the card that accompanied the present. It was from his classmate Lauren (this is his 2nd year with her - they are so cute together). It's a singing card and it's hilarious. After a while though, it got annoying because it's so damn loud.

Kael LOVED it. And you can see how much he loved it.
(TIP: Start to play it then pause it immediately to let it stream and then play it again when it completes its streaming.)



It sings "I'm So Excited" and I have to confess I found myself bopping my head to the music. I was afraid he was going to take that card to bed with him and we'd hear it all night long. But somehow Truong managed to get it away and now all 3 children are sleeping peacefully.

Now it's mom's turn...

1 comment:

ebickmeier said...

Ok, Josh just about fell down laughing at Kael. And he was screaming "hi" at the computer!!! Too funny :)