Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Circus is in town!

My friends Katelyn and Linda invited us to Circus Vargas, which was showing in the parking lot of a local mall. The kids have never been to a circus and I thought it was a good time to go in terms of age: Kael was definitely old enough to appreciate the show, Malia would get a kick out of the animals, and Taede would spend most of the time sleeping.

I looked on-line to get the lay of the land in terms of seating and prices. Arena seating was $20 and Ringside reserved was $40. Linda and Katelyn wanted to do the $20 seats which I was fine with. I figured every other show I've been to (I've never been to Circus Vargas but how different could it be?) has assigned seating so we'll just make sure we get enough tickets in a row so we could sit together. I called the box office to inquire about seating and they tell me that Arena seating is first come, first served.

What?!

Yes. First come, first served and they recommend up getting there at least 45 minutes before showtime to get seats.

Huh. Clearly this lady hasn't been anywhere for 45 minutes entertaining three 2 year old's, a 5 year old, and a 12 day old.

Anyway, we are late. Luckily Katelyn and Linda get there first to get tickets and seating. Kael and Malia are very excited, while Mom and Dad... have reservations. The last real circus I went to (circa 1991) was Ringling Brothers, and it was a 3-ring circus. Circus Vargas is the country cousin to Ringling Brothers, with just 1-ring. Other than Ringling Brothers, Truong and I have only been to Cirque du Soleil.

Additionally, Linda informed me that CV does not have any animals to entertain the girls.

Great. Linda has this thing about clowns which I think she transferred to Audrey -- there was some worry that they would both freak out if the clowns came too close. (I made sure I didn't sit next to Linda.)

The show started and it was clear from the start this was no Cirque du Soleil. It was still fun and entertaining, don't get me wrong. It was just a different kind of presentation. Kael was pretty enthralled with all the acts -- from the juggling acts to the aerial ballet to the trapeze performance. His favorite was the Sphere of Speed where 2 guys on motorbikes raced around in a steel ball. Malia was pretty good the 1st half then she lost interest after the intermission. By then Taede woke up and had to nurse.

Me being me, I nursed Taede right where I sat. I did it discretely, of course -- I just didn't use my nursing cover because it was so hot in there as it was. I didn't feel the need to make it a sauna for both of us. I sat next to Johnny (Linda's husband). A very nice guy. He just started his fellowship for pulmonary surgery. He's been through medical school. He's been through residency. He's seen it all.

As I'm sitting there nursing Taede, I see Linda and Katelyn laughing. I wonder what the heck are they laughing at? Linda tells me I'm making Johnny uncomfortable. What's she talking about? I look at him and he's totally turned away from me: I'm looking at the back of his head. Oh jeez. It's just a boob and not even a whole one at that! I tell him: "I know you made the OB rounds in med school. You've seen 'em before!" To which he responded (still turned away from me): "Yeah, and that's why I didn't go into OB!"

Oh good grief! Then I wondered should I be grateful that he gave me privacy to nurse?

Or insulted that he didn't even try to sneak a peak? Hmmm....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

lol, but you're such a dork. AND FOR THE RECORD, i try really hard not to pass on my neuroses to my kid - you have not even seen the tip of the iceberg...