Friday, September 19, 2008

Acts of a Desperate Mom

Last night Truong and I had a serious talk about what to expect in the immediate future, as far as Blub is concerned and his work travel-wise. In the act of being an awesome Dad and Partner, he postponed many trips and moved out-of-town meetings around until a later date. We had planned on Truong staying home with me for 2 weeks (with the ability to work from home), on the third week to go back part-time, and then eventually weaning me off his support by the 4th week. We both anticipated Blub's arrival to be on par with his/her siblings and even earlier as that's the rumor with 3rd babies.

Clearly this kid didn't get that memo.

Well, we are now entering "a later date." As it stands, all of the postponed trips are now coming to a head, making it near impossible for Truong delay it any longer. His travel schedule starts at the end of next week for about 3-4 weeks straight, with him being physically out of the picture about 3 days out of the week (per week), and most likely working late the remaining 2 days.

Essentially, if Blub doesn't come out sooner rather than later, I'll pretty much go from the hospital straight to the car, chauffeuring my 3 kids around on their daily outings.

As Shaggy would say: ZOINKS!

Sorry - Kael is totally into Scooby Doo and it's hard not to talk "Shaggy" after reading Scooby stories for weeks on end.

With that dispiriting thought in mind, I am determined to evict Blub. The sooner the better. So what did I do this morning, after dropping Kael off at school?

I took Malia to Disneyland.
By myself.
In 90 degree heat.
And I walked.
Pushing a stroller.
In 90 degree heat.
Up Main Street, into Tomorrowland, through Fantasyland, back down Main Street, through Downtown Disney and then finally the parking lot.
In 90 degree heat.
But when you're this pregnant, it really felt like 120.

This was the first time I took Malia solo so we both enjoyed the one-on-one time. Malia is so very different from Kael. She knows what she wants and will tell you what she wants (Nemo and horsey ride -- meaning the carousal, which we rode 3 times). Kael (at the same age) went with flow, not caring what ride we took next.

Our first ride was Nemo. Surprisingly, the wait was longer than I would have thought for a Friday morning at 9:30am. All the other rides were practically deserted, but there was a 45 minute wait for Nemo.

So we waited. This was the only ride she really wanted -- we had to wait. And Malia being so cute and social, made fast friends in line. Of course that lead to the anticipated "When are you due?" question.

You'd think I just escaped from an asylum or admitted that I sacrifice small animals at every full moon, from the looks of incredulous disbelief when I told them that I'm 39 weeks and change, going solo to Disneyland, with a 2 year old. Every single pair of eyes immediately went down to my tummy and then further south, clearly anticipating my water to pop and gush out at any second.

Sheesh.

(As if I were so lucky...)

Needless to say, despite the heat and the aching feet and the multitude of contractions walking through Disneyland, I now sit in front of my computer in the comfort of my air conditioned home... still with child.

Not even a lingering contraction from all my efforts this morning.

** Sigh **

No comments: