Friday, July 27, 2007

Where's a stripper post when you need one?

Today was HOT in the Hills. It reached 98 degrees and was kind of muggy which made it even worse. As such, Malia wore just a diaper and a diaper cover for her nap. She usually wears a onesie but we had been running errands and she felt pretty hot. We had some issues with Malia pulling her diaper off but I figured with the diaper cover on, she wouldn't be able to reach the velcro fasteners so we should be safe. I was hoping that she'd be nice and cool and that would pave the way for a nice, long nap.

Who was I kidding? She didn't nap at all. She goofed around, turned on all her toys in the crib, threw her pillow and then her blankie out of the crib (this took several attempts as she's not tall enough to completely clear the sides), opened and shut the shutters... she basically did everything and anything one can possibly do in a small, confined area except nap. After 20 minutes of her shenanigans, I stopped paying attention to the video monitor and went about my business. Another 20 minutes passed and I happened to glance at the monitor. I see her walking across her crib, holding something in her hands but couldn't figure out what it was. Mind you, the monitor image is black, white and shades of gray so it's near impossible to see any details. I look at little closer and then all of a sudden she swings the thing she's holding around her head like a stripper swinging her bra. Around and around it goes above her head. That's when I realize she's taken off her diaper cover. I look a little closer and then I realize she's taken off her diaper and she's butt naked in the crib!

Holy cow! I run into the room and spot the diaper on the floor where she flung it along with everything else in the crib. She's still got the diaper cover in her hands and she's happily swinging it above her head with a huge smile on her face. I make the move to try to take it away so I can reattach the diaper -- and she knows this -- so before I even reach her, she turns away from me with the cover clutched to her chest, saying "nononononono!" I don't know how long she was naked in the crib but luckily she didn't have an accident. By this time, I knew napping was wishful thinking so I took her out and headed to the mall.

"Where's Kael" is the question you're probably thinking. Well, let me tell you: Kael and Truong are camping at Pine Flat Lake near Fresno until Sunday. The boys packed up their tent and other manly stuff to rough it for the weekend and left this morning. It was really hard to watch them leave as Kael has never been away from me for more than one night. I was (still am) very nervous but Truong's a mature, responsible adult....

Truong's a responsible adult....

Truong's an adult who I know will take good care of my boy. Just kidding. Truong's a great parent and I know the boys will have a great time. Or as a great a time as one can have in 104 degrees weather on a lake near Fresno. Unfortunately, where they are at, there is no cell reception so I'll have to wait until Sunday to get trip updates. This is probably good for Truong as I called him three times on the way there and it's a 4 hour drive. I did have Kael take his camera to document the trip so we'll see what kind of pictures he comes home with. I have a feeling we're going to get a documentary on the rocks, sand, water and dirt near and around their campsite. I expect at least one "and here's my shadow" picture.

So back to the mall... there is a little water feature at the nearby mall that I let Malia play in. I full expected her to get soaked and she didn't disappoint me. I wasn't able to get too many pictures because she was too mobile, too fast and I couldn't take pictures and watch over her at the same time.

This is why I couldn't take a lot of pictures. She kept walking up the waterfall steps and I was afraid she was 1) going slip and crack open her head or 2) reach the top and fall into the basin.


MOM!! Look there's water here!! WOO HOO!!










Almost got sprayed in the face.













Direct hit. By this time, people were standing and watching her play. I could hear the gasps from the crowd as she got hit in the face and then the laughter when they saw how much she was enjoying it.


Malia playing with the big girls but not really getting the game.

No comments: