Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Let's play the QUIET game

There is an upper limit to how much chatter one can stand in a day. I remember when I worked in an office that I would get "talked out" after work and welcomed coming home to a couple of dogs whose worst offense was sticking their noses up my crotch.

Yesterday, I thought being an "experienced" parent to two kids would prepare for me anything and everything. Today, I'm acutely aware that nothing can help me build an immunity to the non-stop chatter hound that is my son.

Oh. My. Gosh. This kid never - NEVER - stops talking. It's driving me crazy. If he was talking to himself, having a soliloquy, a monologue that requires simple head nods I'd be OK with it. But no. He wants a dialogue, a conversation, a discourse with me. Don't get me wrong. I love talking to Kael. I really do. I don't want you to think what a horrible mom I am for not wanting to verbally interact with my son.

It's just really hard to focus and keep a running thread on a conversation that makes no sense. No sense. At all. I guess you can say he's being philosophical and questioning the whys and hows of how the world turns... but honestly, I really don't know why his toy plane is painted black beyond perhaps that's the color paint they had at the toy factory at that time. I don't know why they picked black for this jet and blue for the other. Maybe they ran out of black paint and had to go buy blue? Why are the stripes white? Gee whiz, maybe because they liked white stripes and you can see it better. Oh, the other stripes are blue? Maybe blue stripes looked better on the blue plane. I don't know why blue stripes doesn't look good on a black plane. Yes, I agree - you should have both white and blue stripes on your plane when you grow up. Will having both white and blue stripes make you fly faster? Sure, why not? Oh, the other plane has red stripes too? Why does it have red stripes? Why do YOU think it has red stripes? No, I don't think the red stripes make it crash harder. I like the red stripes. I think it makes the jet look faster. Yes, I know Daddy drives super fast. Why doesn't he have red stripes on his car? I don't know Kael, I really don't know. Why don't we ask DADDY??

Do you see where this conversation is going?? NOWHERE!!

This is when I plead with him to play the Leapster. Read a book. Play the Quiet Game. Tease Malia. Anything!! Just please give me 5 minutes of utter quiet so I can gather my thoughts and go on auto-pilot. My brain cells need time to recharge and it's turning into mush from the constant bombardment of chatter.

Don't even get me started on our conversation about whether or not ladybugs, cockroaches and spiders get along.

No comments: