Saturday, July 21, 2007

Fever Watch: Day 2

We are on Day 2 of Malia's mystery fever. I'm usually not one to worry overmuch when my kids get a fever, however I'm starting to get a little antsy with this one. I can't remember the last time Kael had a fever that lasted more than a day. Heck, I can't even remember the last time he got sick. But Malia seems to be my little petri dish of germs. Her fever peaked today at 103.7, with the average around 102.6. She can't stomach Motrin so I've been giving her Tylenol whenever she naps to help her get some rest. Quite honestly, I'm not even sure if the Tylenol is working as she's hot all the time. She had a pretty fretful nap this afternoon so I ended up holding her with a wet, cool wash cloth on her head that got warm very fast. I switched over to a frozen boo-boo buddy (a gel filled cold pack) and that warmed up quickly too. She's pretty blobby but the difference between her blobbiness and Kael's blobbiness is she wants to blob on me or Truong while Kael can blob on his own. She actually blobs better on Truong, allowing him to kick back on the couch and watch TV. With me, she wants me to stand (!!). If I start to sit down she starts to fuss. The problem with blobbing on Truong is he's hot and that doesn't help with her fever.

Her appetite is of course non-existent. Sort of. We made a trek to Costco this afternoon and in the car before I buckled her in, she signed for food. On Thursday on the car ride to ice skating lessons Kael snacked on Granola Bites and he couldn't reach over to hand her any. The poor girl kept calling for me and signing "more" the entire car ride while staring intently at her brother eating. This time she immediately signed "more" and said.... I don't know the exact words she said but I recognized the sounds to mean "Mom, I want some!" So she apparently has a hunger for Granola Bites, just not anything else.

I emailed our pediatrician and was told that 72 hours is the usual limit for fevers with no other symptoms. Hopefully her fever will break tomorrow otherwise we're making a fun-filled trip out to the doctor's office Monday morning. Tomorrow Truong is taking Kael out to the beach for some fun. Poor guy (meaning Kael) -- since Malia's been sick the entire family has been pretty much on house arrest. No wonder he loves school so much.

This morning we had a make-up swim lesson for Kael where I attempted to take a video on my new camera. It's woefully apparent that I didn't read any of the manuals that came with it. It's not the best quality as I recorded it on "compact" to save space (I'll be posting videos of varying quality as I slowly figure out the camera). Anyway, his usual instructor is Ms. Sara who plays with him and lets him do things at his pace. Today his lesson was with Ms. Jamie, who really makes him work. You can hear him breathing hard as he's swimming across the pool.




Here's a video of Kael doing the backstroke. He was meandering across the pool but at least he was going in some sort of direction. I love how his arms kind of flop around when he loses his concentration and forgets how to backstroke correctly.

No comments: