Friday, July 13, 2007

Calgon take me away!

What a rough day. For everyone.
Mom is tired.
Kael is bored.
Malia is... well, there's nothing wrong with Malia unless you count the fact that Mom's tired and Kael's bored so she's easy pickings.

Kael is still asking to go to school. In fact, yesterday he didn't want to go ice-skating and instead he demanded to be taken to school. I told him that school was closed -- and it was actually the TRUTH this time -- but he would have none of that. I finally convinced him to get in the car with the promise that I would call the school to see if they were open. Luckily "no one was there" to open the school so we ended up at ice skating. I signed him up for school starting next week, for two days, and I tell you I'm going to just roll down the window and toss him out at drop-off! Now I fully understand why parents always look at summer break with such trepidation.

This morning he woke up and asked me, with evil eyes and a barely contained eye roll: "Are we going to do something fun today, Mom?" Sheesh. Like I wake up in the morning and think: "muhwahhahaa - another day to bore my prisoner to death!"

Malia is holding her own against Kael. And me. And Dad. If you try to take anything away from her, she will let out a "nononononono!" and yank it back. I can very accurately discern from her yelling what's happening -- if Kael's trying to take something away, if she bonked herself, if she wants something. Her favorite thing to do now is reading. She love loves loves to bring you a book, say "buhk," turn around and then back into your lap for a reading. It's the cutest thing. Kael is also a lover of books and reading so now the kids fight for lap space. It's pretty funny to see Malia get mad when he's there first - she tries to push him off and if that doesn't work then she drops her book on top of his and sits on him. He however doesn't find it remotely funny or cute.

You know how there are times when you want to eat something but can't find anything appealing? Malia's in that funk and it's driving me bonkers. She's got a whole buffet spread out in front of her: spinach and cheese ravioli, mac and cheese, chicken pieces, turkey pieces, cheese, baby food, green beans, cheese quesadilla, peaches. I pretty much empty out my fridge and it's just not the right taste. She'll take one or two bites then she's done. She points to my food, I give it to her, she spits it out. She points to Kael's food, tastes it, spits it out. The most she's eaten this week: mangoes and cold cereal. She's driving me insane. But since she's just over 15lbs at 14 months, I have to keep trying. It's really scary how fast little kids learn to differentiate between "nutritious food eaten at meals" vs "snacks like granola bites and junk like fries" and go for the snacks and junk every time. I'm in a real quandary: do I wait until she wants to eat the healthy stuff even though it's been days or do I give her the so-so, not remotely healthy or organic foods just to fill her up?

Lastly (and sadly), my prediction for the water mat proved true. I let the kids play on it after lunch today and after 20 minutes of jumping and splashing and falling on it, the mat is now kaputt. There's a huge hole where Kael landed on a whale and popped it. It was so sad. The water jets were barely spraying and Malia kept tapping it, wondering what happened. At $20 a pop plus a week wait time for the on-line order, I'm back to scouring Toys R Us for the not-so-perfect-but-cheaper-and-quicker-to-get summer aquatic toy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Baby Mop
No comment.

No comments: