Sunday, July 22, 2007

Just in time for Monday

Malia finally kicked her fever! She woke up feeling a touch warm but by afternoon her temperature was back to normal.

We had a weird night last night: Kael woke up at midnight, calling for Mom. Luckily for me, since I'm still nursing Malia, Dad gets to take those calls. Apparently Kael had a nightmare so Dad went to reassure him... and I didn't see Truong again until morning. I don't know how Truong and Kael both fit in a twin sized bed, packed with pillows, stuffed guardian dogs named Mikah and Sami (Thanks Tracey, Brian and Bryce) and his various other "going to sleep but keeping the monsters at bay" paraphernalia. I'll have to take a picture one of these nights.

Then at 4am Malia woke up. I guess this was expected since she went down before 7pm and she hadn't eaten much all day - she was probably hungry. I took her into bed with me, nursed her and she fell back asleep. The "falling back asleep" part is the weird part since she usually doesn't co-sleep well at all. If she wakes up early in the morning, I always nurse her in my bed (because I'm lazy) and then she gets transferred back to her crib awake where she falls back asleep. Because I wasn't used to sleeping with her, because I was used to her being awake in bed with me, because I was afraid of falling asleep to wake up to the loud <<.thud.>> of her hitting the floor, I couldn't sleep. I was so tired this morning!

But the good news is she slept until 8:30am, when her brother ran out of his room talking at the top of his lungs (jeez, that kid has no volume control, just 2 settings: loud and louder). The best news is she woke up with a very slight fever that went away by this afternoon. She was still tired looking so Truong and Kael went to the beach while the girls stayed home to veg.

That was pretty much our very low key day. It was nice to hang out at home with no engagements to go to, no pressing chores to complete. Hopefully Kael will sleep through tonight - for Truong's sake. He's been saying "don't let the spooky eyes get me" at night. This has been a prevailing theme the past few weeks. He sleeps under the covers at night to hide from the spooky eyes. Poor kid... at the last bedtime check, I'll pull the covers back and he's slick with sweat. That's with the ceiling fan on and the windows open. Tonight he covered his eyes with his hands as we walked up the stairs to bed and he requested to sleep in the tent with the doors zipped up. His imagination runs in cycles: he'll be great for a couple of months, then the next few months it's monsters and spooky eyes everywhere.

Yes, you read that right: there is a tent set up in his room. A real tent from REI. It's just a 2-person tent, but it's still a tent. I was tempted to stick some glow in the dark stars on his ceiling but didn't know if he would mistake them for dozens and dozens of spooky eyes looking at him in the middle of the night. Wouldn't that be his worst nightmare??

No comments: