Saturday, July 14, 2007

Floam: Toy of the DEVIL

I don't know how people play with this stuff. At first it was fun -- in a "it's fun now but I know I'm going to regret this later" kind of way. And the longer we played with it, the bigger a mess we made. You're supposed to squish it around and the more you squish it, the less sticky it gets. This was not the case for us. It got into and onto everything and it wouldn't clean off! It's like making rice crispy treats with extra extra marshmallows and trying to spread it over your pan with an unbuttered spatula. Impossible, right?

First, let me try to explain what floam is so you understand what I'm talking about. It's little styrofoam-like beads in a gooey, sticky, gel-like.... goo. Like really juicy molding beads. And when you press your hands together then pull it apart, it makes threads that get thinner and thinner as you pull your hands further and further apart before it finally breaks.

Kael kept flailing it around, making threads in the air, saying "Look Mom! I made spiderwebs!" Ack!! So now it's not only all over us, it's all over the house! And the more we tried to clean it off our fingers, the more we got on there. Pretty soon both our hands and fingers - even the backs of our hands - were encased in this stuff. Then somehow it got all over Kael's arm. And my shirt. His shorts. My capris. The floor mats. We tried to wash it off in the bathroom and despite scrubbing and scraping with finger nails, we still had residual goo on our fingers.

I decided to sacrifice a hand towel and rubbed it off (kind of like rubbing semi-dried glue) and then cracked open some molding foam, which is similar to floam but way way less gooey. We were trying to make animals and it was very apparent that floam was not going to do it for us today (if ever). I ran upstairs to get the camera in case we actually succeeded in making something recognizable and needed documentation -- and when I came back downstairs, this is what I found Kael doing:

Do you see the green floam running down his arm?

I don't know what he was doing but I'm guessing that he didn't want his fingers to get gooey again so he used his feet.














Luckily this stuff isn't as sticky as floam.

I really like saying FLOAM. I think it's a fun word to say: floam floam floam floam.








Gotcha!!





























Honest Mom, I wasn't doing anything!




2 comments:

Sandi said...

Oh, I agree! My daughter just got some for her birthday and it just broke apart and wouldn't mold into anything, little white pellets are everywhere! I found your blog because I typed "Floam of the devil" into Google, lol!

Cyprium said...

Hahahahaha. We were having a discussion about floor coverings and I was telling my gf how I never let the kids have play dough. And then I remembered the Christmas they were given floam. She asked what it was. I told her it was the devil. I laughed. She laughed. I googled "floam is the devil" and ended up here. ��