Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"I've been working on the rainbow..."

On a typical day, we run errands after Kael is picked up from school at noon. Today we headed over to Costco. As I load the kids up in the shopping cart and head over to the entrance, I notice Kael's singing something but I don't pay much attention because it's a couple hundred degrees outside (seriously!) and Malia's determined to chuck her sippy cup onto the ground (3 attempts, one successful). As I enter into the cool air conditioned oasis that is Costco, I finally take note of the words of Kael's song:

I've been working on the rainbow, all the dah-dah day!
I've been working on the rainbow, all the long day gone!


I start to laugh and I ask him, What's wrong with the rainbow that you have to work on it? He replies, it's broken and it's taking me a really long time to fix it. Then he sings:

I've been working on the rainbow, all on Saturday!
I've been working on the rainbow, all two Saturdays long!

It was hilarious. He clearly gets his singing ability from me as I can't remember words to songs to save my life. But I tend to lah-lah-lah my way through songs so he's a couple of steps above me.

At Costco we got Malia a little Winnie the Pooh ride-on toy. She always gets on Gina's so I figured it was time to get her her own ride. At home both she and Kael wanted to ride on it and I had to intervene before there was blood shed. I need to take a picture of Kael while he's on it, with his knees practically up to his ears because he's all leg. So Malia's on it and Kael's pushing her which she does not like. I think she realized this was her toy as she didn't even want him touching it. After a few minutes, she figured out how to propel it with her feet and within 15 minutes, she was able to go in an intentional direction. The funny part is as she rolled past, she'd wave and say "bye!" It was hilarious. Maybe more so for me as I'm her mom than for the rest of you...

We didn't do much this Labor Day weekend. We couldn't - it was too hot! It wasn't just hot or really hot or even really REALLY hot. It was "I can't believe how f****ing hot it is" hot. Yesterday it reached 111 degrees. On Sunday is a little cooler at 108 degrees. I knew all of Southern California would be at the beach so I definitely did not want to head there. And we couldn't head to California Adventure to the water park because of the Disney marathon. So instead we set up the slip and slide in the front yard.


Just add water.












Thai getting a little help from Robert. He's never been on a slip-n-slide before (Thai, not Robert). Robert was telling me he used to make SnS with trash bags. In Fresno. Go figure.















I love the look of concentration on Kael's face as he takes his running start.























Perfect take off - right in the middle...



























and into the puddle of water...



























for a perfect landing!



























This is what summer looks like.











Thai wasn't into the SnS so we moved the activities to the backyard and set up the kiddie pools. Clearly he needs to spend some summer time in Fresno with Robert.


And from there the kids moved to the sand table.
























And while the kids were playing, Dad cooled off. Hmm... maybe we ARE in Fresno.

No comments: