Thursday, September 27, 2007

The best book. Ever.

Every year Jimmy and Crystal send Kael a gift for his birthday and every year it's a great gift. But I have to say: this year they really outdid themselves. It's going to be hard to top this one.

When I opened the box, saw the book and read the title, I starting laughing and wondered if they got birthday dates mixed up and it was supposed to be a gift for ME. But I read the address label and saw that it indeed was for Kael.

"It's just a book" you might say... but it's no ordinary book.

It's titled: "WHY? The best ever question and answer book about nature, science and the world around you."

I can't tell you how perfect this book is (for me) and how well it suits Kael. I immediately thumbed through it so I could get an idea of what the book covered, and I will admit that I felt pretty good about having "a back-up system," so to speak, to field some of Kael's Deep Thoughts. (If you've read my past posts, you know how much help I need in that department.)

There were a few answers in there though that required some... censoring. Take for example: "What's Under My Bed?" on page 86. The book says: Some toys, a shoe, a book, a sock... and dust mites ("...you'd see dust mites under there, munching away."). Oh hell no am I telling Kael that he's got dust mites under his bed. I'm already having to tell him that the spooky eyes that live in his closet won't come out to get him for fear of getting hit with Mommy's Big Spooky Eye Stick. No way is he to ever know about any dust mites living under his bed or in his room or heck, even the existence of such things. As far as he's concerned, the only things that live under his bed are some orphaned balls, a couple of Mr. Potato Head parts and a few Matchbox cars.

As long as I read ahead before reading it to Kael, I'm golden.

It's a great book and thank you very much Jimmy and Crystal for the gift!

No comments: