Thursday, January 29, 2009

I like boys.

Lately when I pick up Malia from school, I've noticed a routine forming. First I get Taede out of the car and into the stroller. We then stroll along the wrought fence, looking for Malia and, yes, spy on her for bit. I'm always curious about what my kids do when not with me. I usually get a gathering following me. I don't know if it's the magnetism of my personality or the lure of "Baby" but I'll have anywhere from 2-4 kids following me along the fence, chatting away.

After 4 weeks of school, some of the kids recognize me and start yelling out "It's Malia's mommy! Where's Malia? Her mommy's here!" Then I hear a high squeal: "Sohn-yah! Sohn-yah!" It's Gina and she's running over with a mile wide smile. We hug through the fence. I lay a careful kiss on her face as it's usually a mess of left-over lunch and sand.

Some of the kids take off looking for Malia to tell her I'm here, if she hadn't come over with Gina. It's really cute.

Today, a little boy came over and started chatting with me. He said he knew where Malia was and started to get her. He actually didn't know where she was and I had to help him out by pointing in the right direction. He ran over and told her I was here and we had our happy reunion through the fence.

I walk through the school to pick her up, give Gina her hugs and kisses... and see the boy hanging out around Malia. I chat with him for a bit then tell him we have to leave. He says bye to Malia and she says bye back. As we leave, the little boys runs up to me and tells me his name. It's Malia's "Little Mean Boy" from the second week of school. Evidently they've made up and are good friends now.

Maybe a little too good because as we say good bye again, she says to me: "Boys are nice now. I like boys."

hmm......

No comments: