Sunday, January 4, 2009

Christmas and New Year's

We've had a busy 2 weeks. First was our trip to San Jose for Christmas, which we cut short a day due to Malia getting the flu. Which she passed on to Taede and then he passed on to me. Malia is completely healthy. Taede is completely healthy. And me? I sound like an 80 year old smoker, hacking my lungs out. Which I wouldn't really mind if that meant I couldn't cough uncontrollably anymore.

We headed home Friday and on Sunday met my sister and her family at Knott's Berry Farm as my sister decided to spend New Year's with us. Well, "with us" meaning in Southern California since they spent half their time in San Diego. Malia and Kael were thrilled that their cousins stayed at their house, a rare event since we usually travel up north. And they showed their joy by sharing every single toy, upstairs and downstairs, with Jarod, Amelie and Collin. And when sharing toys wasn't enough, they played with the toy bins (which were empty since all the toys were strewn thoughout the house). Conversations amongst adults had to be conducted with shouts to be heard and Taede's white noise machine was cranked up a few notches. We had one day of rest (Tuesday) while the cousins went to Legoland and on Wednesday we met them at the San Diego Zoo. "We" meaning me and the kids since Truong had to work. I was so tired from pushing the Chariot which was loaded down with 2 (lazy) kids while wearing the 3rd on my body, up and down those damn hills at the zoo, that I went to bed at 9:30pm New Year's Eve.

(Sorry, honey - Happy New Year! I love you! )

On Thursday we headed back to San Diego (this time with Truong) and visited the Midway Museum. Not knowing what to expect, I thought we'd spend just half a day there -- how interesting can an aircraft carrier be? Instead, we didn't get home until 8:30pm! Malia had a 20'ish minute nap from Museum to the gas station to the restaurant. That was her only nap all day. Was she crabby at dinner? Umm... I would have to say... YES. Friday we hung out at home and the kids had a great time making a mess of the house. Saturday morning the cousins left.

Whew! What a busy 2 weeks. It feels weird having to get my head back into our regular programming of school and solo parenting. As busy as we were, as crazy and chaotic as the house got with 5 kids, 1 baby and 4 adults, it was a great visit.

Such a great visit that we're doing it again. In February. Yes, they're coming back....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah! Hopefully Connor will be in a better mood by February and we can add one more baby in the mix!