Friday, January 23, 2009

The answer to my prayers.

You all know how much Kael loves to talk and ask questions. I swear the kid talks more to hear himself talk, and less because he's got this insatiable thirst for knowledge. I have to give the kid credit for knowing when I've spaced out, though. There are times when there's a lull in the conversation (talking mostly from Kael, with me trying to filter the important stuff from the fluffy stuff so I can protect my sanity) and he shoots out a completely loaded question from far left field. A loaded question that makes a parent squirm in her car seat.

He'll be talking about some random stuff like the benefits of his Neo Shifter robot transforming this way and that way, when he realizes that I've spaced out. So then he throws out a "Where do babies come from, mom?" Or "Why do the police carry guns? Do they kill people with it? Aren't they bad guys, then?" just to get giggles from my obvious discomfort in trying to find the best way to answer the question without a long prolonged Q&A session. This usually happens in the car, where I'm a captive audience, with no place to hide or distractions to save me.

So yes, the kid's got my number. But, I recently stumbled across the answer to my prayers.

My ipod.

Kael loves it so I downloaded his music onto it (mostly soundtracks from the movies he's seen, like Cars and Madagascar). It took me a few trips to a few different stores find the right earbud that not only fits him but also fits Malia. (She's so funny -- with the earbud on she tells me "Mom, don't talk to me; I'm on the phone!") Once the music is on, and they're both bopping their head to the beat, looking cool -- it's completely silent in the car.

Ahhh... Peace, sweet peace!

No comments: