Friday, January 9, 2009

The First Week of School

Malia started preschool on Tuesday and it was hard to leave and not be the stalker mom. I was very sad because I knew I would miss her but at the same time, I was relieved of the guilt feelings I get whenever I leave her alone in the house to take care of Taede.

Truong was able to come with me which was great because I had to figure out how to get Kael to the Big Kids' playground, soothe Taede because it was his naptime, and participate in Malia's Singing Circle Time. All occuring at the same time. Once class started, Malia went to her spot at the art table and started her project. I snapped a few pictures and since I didn't have any other excuse to stay without looking neurotic, decided to leave. I asked her for a kiss and reminded her that I would come back after lunch to pick her up. She said "OK, Mommy."

That was it. "OK, Mommy." She didn't even bother to look at me when she said that.

Truong went in there to say good bye and I thought we'd have a few issues since she's Daddy's Little Girl. The past 2 weeks she's been a monkey on his back and for a split second, I thought it would be better if he just left without saying anything. He walked in, gave her a kiss, told her to have a good day at school.

She said: "Bye."

That was it. Just "Bye." I don't think she looked at him either.

It was a little sad. Obviously I didn't want her to be sad and cry and carry on. But a little emotion would have been OK. Something to show me that she cared. A look? Maybe a hug? Anything??

I go to pick her up, and Shana and I end up sitting in the parking lot, spying on the girls. Malia shares the classroom with Gina, but they have different teachers. That means they share art time and recess, but not circle time or reading time. At lunch, we see the girls playing together which is beyond cute. Gina has been in school since the start of the academic year so she's an old hand at the playground and Malia is just following her around.

Shana tells me that even though Malia didn't cry this morning, she'd bet that the second Malia sees me picking her up, she'd burst into tears. In fact, Shana was so sure of that fact that she bet me a cup of coffee. And you all know me and coffee...

Shana owes me a cup of coffee.

I was so proud of Malia. She ran over to me, but didn't cry. A classmate almost took her down with an around-the-neck hug but she took it in stride. Mrs. Lerma (her teacher) said that she did great in class (minus a potty accident because Malia wanted to (1) potty only with Mom, not Mrs. Lerma and (2) wanted to use the other bathroom that I've been taking her to in anticipation of going to school, not the bathroom for the little little kids in the classroom). She also said Malia did well with the other kids in class. They were all over her, saying how little she is, how cute she is, and "does she talk?" -- as if she was some little doll.

In the car going home, Malia asked if she could go to school again tomorrow. And she's been asking that same question every morning the entire week. So I'm happy to say that our first week went without a hitch.

People keep telling me that it must be great having all this alone time with Taede now that I've got 2 out of 3 kids in school. Well... it is nice to have some time alone with Taede: I get the car ride home with him and that's about it. His nap starts when instant we arrive home (8:45am) and he naps up until I have to wake him to go pick up Malia (11:00am). After we pick up Malia, it's naptime again, for both kids. That means I get no errand running time. Because when they wake up from their nap, it's time to pick up Kael and there's no way in hell I'm taking 3 kids to the store.


Malia starting her art project.


She's very focused.


She was playing with Gina until Gina wandered off somewhere so Malia climbed on the truck structure. Apparently she doesn't like playing with boys because you can see her wagging her little finger at the kid. I can imagine her saying "No, no, no!"


Can you see the disgruntled look on her face when her space is invaded by not one, but TWO boys? Mrs. Lerma told me that in class a boy named Adam rested his head on her shoulder and Malia gave him a dirty look and said very firmly: "Get. Off. Me!"

That's my girl.

No comments: