Thursday, May 8, 2008

"You're feeding her too much vegetables."

This is what our pediatrician told me at Malia's 2 year appointment: "You're giving her too much vegetables. Give her more meat."

Then he shook his head and said, "I can't believe I just told you that. I usually have parents whose main complaint is that their kids won't even look at anything green."

Malia's 2 year stats:
Weight: 19.13 pounds
Length: 32"

She's in the 10th percentile for height and (the dr's words again) while she's still not on the growth curve, at least she's not as far below it as she was at 18 months (16.15 pounds and 19.6"). In other words, she's not (-10%) like before. Now she's "just" (-7%).

She actually did better than I thought. I was expecting somewhere in the 18 pounds range, so to have her almost hit 20 pounds, I'm very pleased. We of course talked about her diet and he was flabbergasted that she not only ate veggies, but also loved them. She would eat veggies over meat, and meat over pasta and carbs. For meals, I have to dish out her food one at a time: meats and carbs first, then veggies, then fruit for dessert. She's eaten a whole crown of broccoli once and asked for more so I have to really hide the veggies. As in not even have it on my plate otherwise she will ask for it. She's starting to ask to eat our salads at restaurants which cracks me up.

Developmentally, she's hitting all her milestones: knows her 1-2-3's, can jump with both feet, walk backwards, talking in 3-4 word sentences, knows how to wash her hands on her own. It was kind of funny that he asked if she could jump yet, after having her birthday party at Pump It Up the day before.

Anyway, despite genetics playing against her, Malia is turning out normal.

I forgot to post Kael's 4.5 year stats:
Weight: 36.6 pounds (I was really surprised because he's waaayyy skinny)
Height: 43-44" (it was hard to tell because he kept scrunching his head down like a turtle)

Kael's appointment was pretty funny. About a minute after the Dr walked into the exam room, Kael told the him to "look at me!" and dangled himself off the exam table. Then he hopped down and went into a whole science lesson about the life cycle of a silk worm and how he's got a whole bunch of them at home and how they only eat mulberry leaves and how his mom has to go to the park and pick them. Me harvesting the leaves at the public park was something I wanted to keep on the down-low so I was trying to shush him but he ignored me and kept talking about how last year we almost had to climb the tree at the park and how we gave a whole bunch of worms to his friend Ryan and his teacher. The pediatrician had this look on his face, as if he couldn't keep up with the dialog and would look at me to check on the accuracy of what Kael was telling him. I told him that Kael's got all his facts right (I'm not sure he believed me). Then I asked him how much I should tell Kael about Blub and was told to glaze over the facts since kids Kael's age don't really care to know and most likely he won't ask any questions anyway. Basically I was told to adopt the military policy of "Don't ask, don't tell."

Ha! He clearly doesn't know my child at all (wasn't he listening to the silk worm lesson?!). I should have told him some of the stuff Kael's asked about in the past.

Kael is our little science guy. He doesn't know the rules to soccer but he can tell you which spiders are poisonous to people, which planet is the largest, and how craters are created.

He's such a trip. As irritating as his questioning of everything is, I'm pretty lucky to have a kid who thinks enough to ask those kinds of questions.

No comments: