Sunday, May 11, 2008

Roomies Day 2 - The Wake-up and The Nap

My Mother's Day started early.

It started at 5:47am, to be exact. That was the time, for some unknown reason, Malia started to cry. When does she ever cry in the morning?! She doesn't! That is until this morning when the kids started to share a room. Truong jumped out of bed and ran to Kael's room to get her before she woke up her brother. He took her to our bed but it was too late. I could hear Kael asking: "Where are you going??" and then he started to get upset. So Truong went back and got Kael too.

Four people, no matter how skinny, just do not fit in a Cal King bed. Let me tell you that now. It's impossible to get comfortable and when you add a 5 month pregnant belly to the mix, you might as well just wake up and get an early start on your day.

We did our Mother's Day dim sum run, ran some errands and headed home. The kids were very tired. Malia started wilting around 10:00am and Kael didn't look much better. I was determined to keep them awake though for a good nap so we motored through our day until lunchtime. It was perfect timing -- by the time the kids ate and washed up, it was a little before 1:00pm. Just perfect. We read stories, gave last hugs and kisses and closed the door.

First thing I noticed through the monitor was that the chatter got significantly louder as soon as we closed the door. A few minutes later, Kael climbed into her crib. I wait to see if he would leave and it looked like he was there to stay so I have to do an intervention. This time he stayed in his bed but the chatter was still pretty loud and fast.

At 2:30pm (so it's been an hour and 40 minutes with one poopy diaper change) Truong decides he's going to take Kael out for a haircut. Malia starts to cry but we're cold-hearted parents and leave her in the room (alone **gasp**). I hear her turn on her music and the crying lessens. I eventually notice it's quiet in her room and when I turn on the monitor, she's finally asleep.

It's 2:36pm.

What a little stinker. She slept until 4:35pm so it was a decent nap. Hopefully tonight will be a better night. Kael will be dead tired since he didn't get much sleep last night, woke up way early this morning and didn't nap at all. But as we all learned from last night, Kael isn't the problem, is he?

Truong is going out of town Monday through Wednesday so I'll be dealing with the late nights, early mornings and no naps by myself. I think I can handle the late and the early. It's the no naps that I'll have problems with since around 2:00pm is when I hit my wall and need a nap myself. It can't get any better than that.

Oh wait. It can get better: my throat is killing me and I'm getting congested. I can already tell it's the start of a really bad head cold.

Yippee!

No comments: