Monday, November 12, 2007

She's so... cute!

We just finished a weekend full of family. The Mai's (all of them) converged in Orange County and hung out: Thien, Maureen and Ronan from Sacramento, Trieu and Ingrid from Santa Cruz, and Thao, Robert, and Thai also from Santa Cruz.

Kael was in absolute heaven playing with cousin Thai and all his uncles. Malia was her usual social butterfly so I couldn't tell if she knew the significance of all these people at Grandma's house. It had been several months since everyone saw her so while she was still the same size, her personality has really come through. Ronan (the new baby at 3 months old) is fast approaching her in size and will most likely outweigh her in a few weeks. He's a mere 3 pounds off and they are 15 months apart in age. However, in Malia's defense, that baby is a tank and a half! If there was ever a sumo-baby title, he'd be in the ranking. His calves are the size of her thighs.

One thing did keep coming up that I thought was pretty funny in a backhanded sort of way: People kept saying about Malia "She's so cute!" and "She's really cute!" and my favorite "I can't believe how cute she is!" And while that's something all mothers want to hear of their child, it was said in such a wow, I can't believe it's not butter kind of way, that it made me think: gosh, are Truong and I really that awful looking that it's unbelievable we could produce such a fine looking child?! My sister said the same thing too: she didn't expect Malia to be so cute as most babies aren't cute when they're young. So she was really surprised Malia turned out to be so cute.

What?!! OK whatever. That's fine. People think my child is cute and that's all I'm going to focus on. I did however remind Truong that Malia takes after me so it must be HIM that they're astonished about.

No comments: