Sunday, November 4, 2007

"Mommy, how do people die?"

Friday Kael's school had an in-service day so we decided to hit Disneyland with his friend, Bryan. The boys get along great at school so I was looking forward to seeing how they did together outside in the "real world."

Whenever we go to Disneyland, I'm pretty focused on getting from the parking lot to the gates of the Happiest Place on Earth. There's people slowly meandering about, kids running back and forth, groups of people stopped in the middle of the road -- so it can be a test of patience to get from Point A to Point B. Especially when you're a mom with a double stroller. And you're late.

So there I was, playing Mario Andretti if he was a woman (so would that be Marion Andretti?), weaving the stroller in and out and around people. So focused I was on my course that I at first didn't hear what Kael was saying -- I was just making the appropriate noises: "uh-huh, uh-huh. Yes, sweetie." Finally he says "MOM! I asked you how do people die?"

That certainly got my attention: "What did you say?!"

Kael: "People, Mom. How do they DIE?" with emphasis on the word die.
Oh geez. Are you kidding me? I can't believe we're having this conversation now.

Me, stalling: "Well... sometimes... when people... get sick, they can die."
Oh crap! He was just sick! Keep talking! Say something else!!

Me again: "But they have to be really really REALLY SUPER sick. You've never been that sick. And when people get... into car accidents, sometimes they can die..."
I was trying to find a way to answer his question without freaking him out but there was no real way to do that. He sat quietly in the stroller, thinking his deep thoughts.

Me: "And when people get old, really old, their bodies get tired and they just die."
I thought that was a good one, a safe answer. Not quite warm and fuzzy, but not too scary either.

Kael: "Is Ba [grandma] really old?"
Oh god. Oh. Crap.

Me, quickly answering him: "Oh no! Ba isn't old at all! She's really really young! You don't have to worry about Ba. She's still good. She'll be good for a really long time."

And he didn't say anything else. I'm hoping my answers were adequate... and since it's now Sunday and he hasn't mentioned anything or had any bad dreams, I think we're in the clear. I do notice that he's obsessed with the word "die" and all its different forms. He says it all the time:
"Look mom - there's a worm. And it's dead."
"Drive slow, Dad. I don't want to die."
"What happened to that bee? Is it dying?"
"Mom, Malia's in the stairs again! If she falls down, she's going to die!"

I have to remind myself, it's just a phase, this too shall pass, it's just a phase...

No comments: