Friday, November 2, 2007

The End of Innocence

Ever since Halloween Kael's been insisting that he can't sleep alone. That his bed is too small. That only my bed fits him. That someone needs to be in his room with him. Very odd behavior coming from a kid who used to kick us out of his room at night.

The day after Halloween, I don't know where we were - possibly in the car as that's where most of the blog-worthy conversations occur - I asked him what happened last night when he woke up scared. He said he had a bad dream: he dreamt that he was in a car that was flying (how this was scary to him I'll never know... personally, I think having a flying car is pretty cool). Anyway he said that he was scared and that he didn't want to be alone in his room anymore. I told him that he wasn't alone (I got a puzzled look that clearly said what are you talking about mom?). I further elaborated my statement: "You have Baby Jaguar and your two dogs with you in bed! They will protect you and keep you safe." He needs to believe that otherwise bedtime is really going to suck for all parties involved.

The puzzled look on his face deepened: "Mom, they are fake!" This was said with a tone that bordered on duh, mom, hello... anyone home?

I was shocked. I didn't know what to say. My mind was whirling at hurricane speed, trying to find a way to salvage his childhood innocence.

Me: "What are you talking about, honey? They will keep you safe and keep the spooky things away." (Notice how I neither deny nor acknowledge his "fake" statement?)

Kael: "But they're fake! They don't move, they don't blink their eyes, they don't even breathe. They aren't real, Mom. They are fake!" It's almost as if he's trying to convince me of that fact.

I didn't know what to say so I just ended the conversation with: "They don't have to move to keep you safe, Kael. Sometimes I don't blink for a long time too." OK, I admit that was pretty lame but I didn't know what else to say.

Isn't four too young to question this stuff?? I thought kids believed in Santa and his sidekick the Easter Bunny until they were eight or so. What went wrong here?!

No comments: