Friday, August 10, 2007

What Superman wears on Laundry Day

Like most boys, Kael likes to pretend he's Superman, complete with cape. The key is finding the right cape that flies nicely behind him as he runs and is fastened in a safe manner. First we used a towel but it was too thick - it was too heavy to "fly" (Kael's words) and we couldn't find a way to tie it on. No way am I using a safety pin. With our luck, it'd spring open and stab Kael in the throat.

Next we used one of Malia's swaddling blankets (the thin cotton ones). It was better in terms of flyability but we still had issues with getting it to stay on Kael without strangling him. In a pinch, I used binder clips. If he snagged the cape on anything as he flies about the house, the clips will fly off and no harm will be done to life, limb or furniture.

Then one day I came upon the perfect solution: my tank top! Sure, it's a little ghetto. Well, OK, maybe a lot ghetto but it works great. He slips his arms through my "sleeves" and the body of the tank is his cape. It's a nice thin cotton so it flies beautifully:


































Before his nap, after coming home from school, I like to rinse him off. He had been playing in the sandbox, outside in the heat, slathered with sunblock, mixed with sweat, going to the bathroom by himself doing (I'm sure) the Dad Shake... I like to wash off the day before sending him to nap. Today, after his shower, he spied my tank top on the bed and decided that he wanted to fly to bed.

Remember, he's fresh from his shower...



Hopefully this explains why he's flying around butt naked. Contrary to what some people believe (Shana!) we're not nudists. There's aways a reason for our nudity.

(See how nicely the cape flies behind him?)















If you ignore the fact that it's my wife-beater tank top, it really is the perfect cape.































I finally get some underwear on Kael and get him into bed when Malia comes to me with the cape on her head. She's obviously wanting to wear it and be SuperBaby.


She was SO happy to wear it. You can just see how proud she was, to be just like her big brother.

























She's running around like Kael, but she doesn't know why. She just knows that's what she's supposed to do because Kael did it.
















No comments: