Thursday, August 30, 2007

Random Pictures

Kael is swimming with a friend and Malia is still asleep so I'll take this time to post the random pictures I've taken.

The Sweat Test
Remember we had to do that sweat test to check for cystic fibrosis? On the phone they told me they had to hook up electrodes on her arms for 3 minutes. I'm expecting those little white dots with wires, just slap them on under her sleeves and *voile* we're done. In reality, it's these copper cuffs that have a band of velcro around them that need to be secured around her arm (completely around her arm) and there's TWO that need to be fastened. Additionally, there's a current that runs through them, causing a pins and needles feeling in her arm. You all know how teeny tiny Malia is -- the two cuffs basically encircled her entire arm from bicep to wrist.

She. Freaked. Out.

Holy cow she was pissed off. AND it wasn't three minutes. It was FIVE minutes. Per arm. And we could only test one arm at a time!! When she realized we had to do her other arm, she was a flailing mess. The nurse kept saying "Wow, she's really strong... she's really really strong!"

After zapping the right arm, we had to strap the cuffs on the left arm while trying not to touch the right arm and thus contaminating it. Okaaayyy, sure, no problem. Once we got the left arm strapped, we had to hold the right arm still (again not touching the forearm) so the nurse could wrap these special sterile pads in this neat stretchy plastic wrap around Malia's arm to collect her sweat. And when I say "wrap" I mean "WRAP."

After wrapping both arms, I was given a timer set for 20 minutes to do... whatever I could do with a 15 month old to get her sweating. Malia looked like a mini-Michelin man with her white bandage wrapped arms waving around, trying to fling it off.


Here she is - happy to be out of the torture chamber.

I bundled her up hoping to get her sweating.















But then I realized I just needed her arms to sweat so I took her outside and put babylegs on her arms. That did the trick - the nurse complimented me on my sweaty baby.


The Fruit Eaters
I've given up all hope of keeping the car and most notably, the car seat clean. There's no way around it. Both kids can see what I have in the front seat and will demand to eat what I snack on. Of course, there are those of you believe I shouldn't be eating in the car at all (Truong) but when you're home with two kids, you eat what you can and when you can!


Malia taking her first bite out of a pluot. Literally. I usually cut fruits into bite sized chunks but she seems to really like eating fruits this way.

She's started to take my nectarines and peaches as I'm eating them and won't give them back, claiming them for her own.




Kael enjoying his pluot. I just noticed that his forehead is shiny so he must have smeared the pluot on his face. This explains the mile-wide smile.



"No, I'm not sharing. It's all mine."












Sounds like Malia is finally up. We're going swimming with big brother. Tonight is workout #1 with Ethel. I'm sure I will have plenty of blog-worthy material.

No comments: