Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What's Worser than Worse?

Answer:
Getting hit with the stomach flu.

Yup. That was me since Thursday: curled up in the fetal position on the floor of the bathroom, wishing for death, but not really wishing for death for fear of abandoning the children. Somehow the children have been spared... so far.

It all started with the nausea. For a while I thought it was morning sickness coming back to haunt me. Then the stomach cramps. Then the projectile vomiting. That was the worse. Couple that with two healthy kids fresh from a nap, wanting to go play at the park, play superheros, play with paints, play anything that for that one afternoon, didn't involve watching TV. The one afternoon that I wanted them to watch TV, they wanted no part of it. Just my luck.

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

What's worser than that? Can it even get any worse?

Answer:
I had to call Truong for help. I swear I thought I was dying.

And he doesn't answer.

Nor does he return my phone call.

I would have gotten mad, if I was able to conjure up the energy. I think by that point, I was almost reduced to tears, such was the agony I was in -- and even that was an effort.

I called my mother-in-law for help and she came right over. She even brought dinner for the kids. (Maybe I should have married her.) I dragged my sorry ass upstairs, made two buckets (one by the bed and one in the bathroom because it was just a matter of time for the virus to head south) and stayed in my room the rest of the afternoon and night. I couldn't even keep down ice chips so I decided I'd much rather die of thirst than die while vomiting and gave up all forms of nourishment.

Truong called 2 hours later and said he'd be home late (he was with clients in downtown LA). He eventually canceled dinner plans and headed home early (8:30pm) where he got an incredulous "You JUST got home?!" comment from Shana when she called to check in on me. Shana said she didn't think he appreciated that when all she got was silence in return.

In the end, I didn't eat for over 30 hours and didn't drink for almost 10. At my OB appointment Monday, I lost a pound since last month and my blood pressure was 80/40. The nurse commented that I was almost dead. Ha-ha, very funny. Luckily Blub was still there with a heartbeat of 160.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for healthy kids. If I'm lucky I flushed the virus down the toilet. Lord knows my head was hanging in there long enough.

No comments: