Monday, April 28, 2008

A Day at the Beach

Sunday we headed to the beach -- Corona del Mar to be exact. We were willing to pay the $10 parking fee for easy access to the beach to haul out all our stuff. "All our stuff" entailed the EZ Up for shade, the large bucket of sand toys, 3 chairs (one for me and 2 for the kids), 3 towels, a large picnic mat, and the lunch cooler. Doesn't sound like a lot but when you've got 2 kids running around you and then one decides she doesn't like walking on the soft sand so you end up having to haul everything PLUS a 2 year old... $10 is totally worth it.


Do I have every part covered in this get-up? Whatever is left out is slathered in sunblock.
(Take note of the sun protection, Shana!)


The boys digging... what? A hole? A pit? Mining for ore??
Check out Malia in the far back. She's way more interested in exploring.


She took off towards a random person and started talking to her. It was hilarious. I could see the mom chatting back but looking around looking for this little girl's parents. She finally figured out I was the parent, not some pedophile with a huge camera taking pictures of little kids at the beach.


Kael filling a bucket of water for his... man-made pond.


Success!
Unfortunately, by the time he ran back up the beach to dump it on his pond, there was a teeny tiny bit of water left after being sloshed around.


So Dad takes both kids back to fill up the bucket.


Malia falls on her bottom and gets partially wet. Boy, was she pissed! She demanded a diaper change (which she got since she was so upset and wouldn't go back out). Later on, she fell again, but I wouldn't change her swim diaper so she eventually gave up and walked around wet.


Dad and his princess.


Jumping over waves.


Wave stomping.


This picture pretty much sums up our day at the beach.

So the kids had a great time. Dad had a great time. As for Mom... well, I enjoyed it because the kids enjoyed it so much. Truong doesn't understand why I'm so-so on the beach. Maybe it's because the kids play with him, but when they get sand in their eyes, they come to me. When they get sand in their ear, they come to me. When they want a diaper changed (for the third time) they come to me. When they drop their lunch meat in the sand and eat it (unbeknownst to me) and don't like the sand in their mouth, they come to me. When they get sand in their Crocs and freak out because it's hot, they come to me.

So yeah, I'm so-so at the beach. But once I get there, I enjoy it because the kids love it so much. And that's all the really matters.

No comments: