Friday, April 25, 2008

Roomies

Not yet anyway, but the clock is ticking, the countdown has started.

Our original plan was to have Kael and Malia room together sometime in December 2008, January 2009 (basically when Blub needs his own room and crib). Actually there are a lot more things that need to happen before that -- just thinking about them makes me break out into a cold sweat. Broken down into steps I have to (over the course of the summer):
1) potty train Malia;
2) get her used to a big girl bed;
3) get her used to sleeping in a room with Kael;
4) get Kael used to sharing his room and space with his sister who about 80% of the time is considered a pest; and
5) introduce both kids to their new sibling.

An added possible task for me could maybe involve entering Malia into preschool depending on how well we do with (1) and (5). If she loves Blub and is OK with sharing Mom, then I'll keep her at home. If she hates him and tries on numerous occasions to off him, then the prospect of preschool looks very promising. Not so much to get her out of my hair, but to give her something of her own.

As I said before, all this was to happen this summer with the grand finale being their changed status from housemates to roommates at the end of the year.

Well, as of last week, it's been pushed up. We now have 30 days. Grandma sold her house, is in escrow and will move in with us sometime mid- to end-of May. Don't get me wrong, I have no problems at all with that. I just wasn't planning on doing everything so soon.

But I wouldn't be a Mom if I couldn't adjust. That's pretty much the first Rule of Mommyhood: Learn to Adjust or Sink in Despair. So we bought a bunch of new furniture in preparation of moving the kids in together: 2 new twin beds (so they match), new nightstand, new toy/bookcases. We sold everything in Kael's room. I mean everything.Well, I guess I should say "We plan on selling everything in Kael's room." Shana's having a garage sale tomorrow and I hope we sell the stuff otherwise Truong's either going to give it away for free or pay people to take it.

The only things left in Kael's room: his lamp, his clock, his bedding, the kid and his clothes. No kidding. We assembled one of the twins tonight for him to sleep on and will move Malia's crib in sometime before Grandma moves in. I might as well wait until the last minute to move them in together so I can at least guarantee a couple more weeks of good sleep, right?

No comments: