Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Visit with Cousin Ronan

We had a very busy weekend as my brother-in-law and his family came for a visit from Sacramento. We hadn't seen them since Ronan was just a couple of months old (he's now 6 months old) so I was looking forward to seeing the Little Buddha.

At 6 months old, he's already 17 lbs.
Malia, at 20 months old, weighed in at 17.12 lbs.
Ronan's head is bigger than her head.
His wrist and arms are bigger than her wrist and arms!

The only thing I could say that Malia has more of than Ronan, is hair. And if you've seen Malia, that's not saying much. Quite honestly, it's really not so much that she has more hair, it's more that he doesn't have any hair. Yet.

Kael spent 2 nights over at G'ma's house and had the time of his life with Uncle Thien and Aunt Maureen. So much that taking him home for naps was a battle and a half. After extensive negotiations, promises to come back for dinner and finally threats of no contact for non-compliance, he grudgingly went home (with his family, mind you!) for naps. We pretty much spent all weekend at G'ma's and only came home to nap and sleep.

I (once again as is my habit when exposed to family events) gorged myself to the point of having stomach aches. There's something wrong with the neural connections between my stomach and my brain. They're just not connecting. You know how some people are compulsive gamblers? I'm a compulsive eater. Truong (after witnessing my unsnapping of the top buttons on my jeans on more occasions than I want to mention in a public blog) said that he was going to start calling me "150". As in that's how much I'm going to weigh. My response: if I get to 150, I'm going to squash his ass so he better be nice to me now... so pass me the dessert, please.

Malia (I was happy to notice) ate a ton this weekend. A ton! Was it a coincidence that I didn't cook a single meal at all? Perhaps... Well, it's probably more than likely! If I could get away with not having to cook at all, I'm down for it 100%. For Malia's sake, of course...

She was very comfortable with her Aunt and Uncle and I don't think had an opinion of her young cousin. Unless Truong or I tried to hold him, then she freaked out. Otherwise she looked at him as though he were some kind of science experiment. She started trying to play with him tonight which was very cute. We stuck him in her old Jumperoo and he was content to simply sit in there and look at Kael and Malia run around. Once in a while she'd try to get him to jump by grabbing onto the edge of the seat and bouncing him herself. Luckily they are about the same size so she didn't get too much lift. I did see her touch his head on several occasions -- and she did it very gently, not bomping him so I was pleased that she could be gentle despite her occasional feelings of jealousy. There was some discussion amongst the adults as to whether or not she was petting him as a loving gesture or was actually wiping her hands on his head as she was eating a Vietnamese ham at the time. We'll never know. Doesn't matter. It was done gently!

All in all it was a great weekend. Everyone's leaving tomorrow evening so tomorrow will be my last opportunity to pack on some pounds before I have to eat my own cooking. I better make the most of it.

No comments: