Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Naked Resistance

Kael has gotten a taste of not napping and he really likes it. He likes it a lot. Unfortunately, on the days that he wakes up early (6:00am) he need that nap.

Today was such a day. Friday he woke up at 7:15am (an awesome time compared to his usual 5:30am-6:00am wake-up), went to school, had a park play date and then went to Grandma's for a sleepover. According to Grandma, he did not nap. I told her that was fine, but make sure he went to bed early.

This morning he woke up at 6:00am, went to swim class and then to a New Year's lunch at Great Grandma's condo where he played with his cousins until 1:30pm. Today was a perfect nap day.

I went to put Malia down while Dad took care of Kael. Before I closed Malia's door, Kael made sure to let me know that he wasn't going to close his eyes. Talk about a premonition for troubles ahead...

Upon leaving Malia's room, I saw that Kael's door was opened so I closed it. He freaked out because that meant he would have to nap. Rather than calmly talking to me, he ranted and raved and threw a huge fit, causing me to loose my temper and in the end, I told him he was to stay in his room for at least one hour with the door closed. Not negotiable.

I walked away and heard him yelling in his room. I turned on the monitor to see him tearing off all his bed sheets and all his blankets off his bed. He then chucked his animals and his pillows across the room. I thought OK, now he's got a naked bed, there's nothing left to throw off. Maybe he'll rest a little.

I was wrong. He proceeded to take off all his clothes including his underwear and stand on top of his bed in protest. Naked as a jay bird. Eventually he got tired of standing and sat down (still upright, of course). Then he'd stand up, get tired, and sit down. Up and down he went. It was really funny to watch.

Well, it's funny unless he decides to also include a pee-protest, then I'll have to open a can of whoop-ass and make sure he never does that again.

I turned off the monitor and cleaned up the house a bit. About 30 minutes later, I checked on him again and.... couldn't find him. I did see a bunch of his blankets back on the bed. So maybe he got cold and pulled up the blankets and then fell asleep. I won't know until I "release my prisoner" at 4:30pm.

Wish me luck.

No comments: