Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Malia, the Two-Timer

Shana and I have always joked that Ryan and Malia are destined to at least date, if not marry each other. Ryan gets so goo-goo eyed over her and she's all about her "Ry DoDo." It's really cute.

On Saturday I invited Erin, Kaitlyn and Josh over for dinner. Dennis was traveling for work and poor Erin was solo parenting for 10 days. No one should have to solo parent for ten days. Even worse: they don't have any family near-by to help out. No Mom, Dad, Sister, Brother or Step-anything of any kind -- heck, not even a three-times removed cousin to mooch an hour for a mental health break. So I made some dinner and had the kids come over to give Erin a much needed break.

The kids had a great time. Not one fight, not one mean word, not one battle to break up over a period of 2.5 hours. It was a really good time for both sets of parents and kids involved. We only requested one thing of the boys: to please play downstairs since Malia was following them everywhere. Kaitlyn was content to hang out downstairs and play with all the stuff there but Malia only wanted to play with the boys. I was worried that in their play, the boys would accidentally crash into Malia or bump her down the stairs.

At first I thought she wanted to play with the boys (plural). But eventually I figured she really wanted just Josh. Everywhere he went, she was hot on his tail. If he got too far ahead of her, she would yell out "Josh! Josh! Josh!" Even when he was right there next to her, she'd still call out "Josh! Josh! Josh!" as if to say: Look at me! Notice me! I'm right here!

It was really funny. I mentioned to Erin that if Ryan gets wind of this he's going to be really jealous. We both laughed as Malia once again, called out to Josh to wait for her.

Truong is a very smart man. However, he's not the most observant person in the world. This can be said of most men, as you ladies will agree. Because he can sometimes be pretty dense when it comes to human behavior, I was really surprised when he made this comment: "If Ryan ever finds out about Malia and Josh, he's going to kick Josh's butt!" Malia's fixation on Josh must have bordered on stalking for Truong to take notice.

So I called Shana and told her that Ryan's got some competition: Malia's got a little crush on Josh.

She's quiet and then she says: "Well, it sounds like your daughter's a little easy!"

I probably should have taken offense... but instead, I busted out laughing. I still laugh today when I think about that comment. Malia just spent a few hours with Ryan earlier on Thursday when Shana watched her while I had a dentist appointment. Ryan, I'm told, tried to lure the girls into Gina's bed with him. Malia didn't even notice that I left the house and she's never been babysat by anyone outside of Grandma and her Dad. Shana contributes her complete ease to having Ryan there.

So fast forward a mere 2 days later and Malia's goo-goo eyed over Josh.

OK OK, if she were a little older (and her last name was Hilton, not Mai), I'd have to admit, it is a little hinky.

It will be interesting to see who she trails after when both Ryan and Josh are around.

No comments: