Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Storing Mice

Sometime between tomorrow and Friday I need to go buy 2 mice to feed Bubba. Crystal tells me that Bubba likes live mice.

O. K.

I think I can handle that. I of course grilled Crystal to make sure there was no carnage with flesh ripping and blood spraying everywhere while Bubba eats as I do not want to traumatize my kids for life. She swears there won't be any of that stuff.

But we may see some blood ooze out of the mouse's nose and mouth as Bubba squeezes it.

Hmm.

I suppose that's better than a blood spray, right?

When Crystal first brought Bubba over, she did a quick tutorial on snake care with me and the kids. I made Truong sit through it just in case despite being told by Truong that he "hates snakes."

"Hates snakes" is really male lingo for being scared out of his mind around snakes.

Anyway Crystal says Bubba is really cool.
I totally agree. Bubba is beautiful too.

Crystal then tells me: But she's really fast.
Okay.

Crystal: No, I mean she's super fast. If she ever got away, you'd never find her.
Huh. O.K.

Crystal: But she's really tame. She's only bitten me once.
WHAT?!

Crystal: But don't worry about that. She bit me when she was really young.
That's good to know. I think. At least she's not poisonous.

Crystal: Just remember to distract her face when you get her out by the tail so she doesn't bite you because her eyesight is really shitty.
Now I'm starting to get nervous.

Crystal: Oh yeah. And remember to lock the lid because she's really strong and can open it and escape.
HOLY CRAP! So I'm watching a super fast, super strong snake with shitty eyesight who can open her cage lid?!

So far, Bubba sitting has been pretty cool. The most important fact is: we still have Bubba. The kids are totally fascinated by her and want to hold her all the time. I've limited it to once a day and only if I can get her out. The whole "distract one end while grabbing the other because she's got shitty eyesight" issue really unnerved me. Add on to that the fact that she truly is a very active and fast snake makes me very cautious when taking her out.

Taede the other day just noticed her. How can he not? She's moving around all the time. The only snakes I've ever seen are always curled up in a pile. Bubba moves back and forth across her cage all day. It's actually kind of soothing in a weird way. Anyway, the baby stares at her all the time. It's the funniest thing.

Crystal said we could feed her at the end of the week as they are taking her home Sunday. I found a reptile store nearby and plan on getting 2 mice. But where do I keep the mice? I can't imagine they bag up the mice like they do fish. So that must mean they put them in some kind of box. But what if I get the mice in the morning and not feed Bubba until dinner time? Will the mice chew a hole through the box and escape?

How do you keep mice for later?

No comments: