Wednesday, March 25, 2009

That's not cool.

Lately my kids have been really picky about their clothes. Malia is a given. It's Kael that's surprising me. And it's not his clothes that he's picky about. It's his underwear.

Morning time is a madhouse plus zoo with all the animals let out at my house. I like to prep the night before to shave off some time (like prepping lunch and laying out clothes). The past couple of months Kael's requested to pick out his underwear. Sure, I think. This is good; he's interested in what he's wearing. I had fears that he'd be the odd dressed kid once I set him loose in society as an autonomous being. The interesting thing is he's only interested in his underwear. He doesn't care about anything else. But still, it's a start.

Yesterday as I laid out his clothes again, I grabbed with first pair of undies on top of the clean pile. This batch of undies came mostly from Gymboree, with a few Hanes featuring his favorite characters, like Star Wars and Power Rangers. Gymboree is one of the nicer, pricier brands. They are nice and thick and soft. Designs of different dogs for each day of the week. He was in the shower so I did the honors. He came out, saw what I picked, and gave me a serious look, like he was carefully picking out his words.

Kael: Mom... I don't like the dog underwear.
Me: Why? You still fit them. They are nice and soft! Very comfortable.

He picks up the Bulldog underwear like it's got stains on it.

Kael: Mom... (he hesitates) I don't want to wear the dogs. They are not cool.
He said this carefully like he didn't want to hurt my feelings.

And then he gave me that universal look all kids give to their uncool, clueless parents. I recognize it because it's the same exact look I gave to my parents.

I never would have thought it, and it pains me to think it now... But evidently I am the uncool parent I vowed I'd never be.

No comments: