Saturday, February 28, 2009

Why are you laughing?!

Last night as I was trying to figure out the web camera and Skype, I heard Truong tell Kael "Go ask Mom that question." It's 7:30pm so I figure it's got something to do with a request for a particular bedtime story or maybe one more show on TV, or perhaps wanting a trip Disneyland. I wasn't paying much attention.

Kael walks into the study in his PJ's and in my periphery vision, I see Truong behind him. I turn in my seat and give Kael my full attention though a small part of my mind is still on setting up the camera.

Me: Yes, honey?
He's a little embarrassed, which is strange. Usually he's pretty upfront about his questions.

Kael: umm... Mom, what's that thing hanging behind my penis?
Whaaat?! What did he say??

With my eyes wide open, refusing to look at Truong because from the corner of my eye, I could tell that he's hunched over, probably laughing his ass off, I ask Kael (hoping that I heard wrong): What did you say?

Kael rolled his eyes like I'm the Queen of Idiots and asks again, a little annoyed at having to repeat himself: What's that thing -- that sacky thing -- behind my penis?!
And for good measure, to make sure the Idiot Queen got it, he grabbed himself and shook it.

By now, Truong is practically prostrate on the ground, trying not to laugh, clutching his stomach, looking like he's having a seizure. Luckily Kael doesn't see him. And that's when I did something I swore I'd never do when any of my children asks me a serious question.

I started laughing.

Not just laughing, but laughing. My eyes are shut tight, my shoulders shake uncontrollably, and there's no noise coming from my mouth because I'm laughing so hard. I can't help it. I try to compose myself but I can't. The more I try, the more I laugh because as I look at Kael's face to try to answer him, I could see that he's getting pissed off.

Kael: What's so funny? Why are you laughing? What are you laughing at?! Well? What's the sacky thing??
He's getting steamed.

I still can't answer him because I'm trying to hold my head together between my hands while attempting to control my laughter. Truong finally saves the situation and tells Kael: They're called your testicles.

By now I've got some control, though my hands are still clutched on my head. I could see with some dread that Kael's practicing his new word: Tes-tic-culs. Tes-tic-culs.

Great. I can't wait for him to show off that new word at school.

Then he drops the bomb:
What do testicles do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heehee, that's pretty funny! What I have to look forward to!

According to Bryce, the difference between girls and boys is that girls "don't have a penis, only a butt!". =)