Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A picture is worth a thousand words.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then how many words do you think a look is worth?

50? 100? 200?

In Malia's case, one of her looks is worth... two words.

That's right.

Two words:
F-- off.

I wish I could take a picture of that look to show you. Then you'd all think "ahh, that's what Sonya's talking about. She's right; Malia did just silently say F-- off!"

She's been shooting me a look for a while now (not The Look, just a look). It's been pretty mild and I've interpreted it as an annoying how-far-can-I-push-my-mother look. Malia's on a roll lately, slowly building up speed and pressure. Her reluctance to comply with rules and verbal requests is becoming more common than I'd like. Actually, it's less a "reluctance" and more like a "refusal" and then some. Not only will she not do what I ask her, but she'll do exactly what I told her not to do. So it's like I'm dealing with negative bad behavior.

This morning I asked her to clean up her toys, it's time to take Kael to school. She threw me a look and threw everything off the table, onto the ground. Grrr!

I made her pick them up. Got another look.

I ignored it and told her to please get her shoes on, it's time to go to school. Got a sideways look as she grabbed Shiloh her huge stuffed pony, completely ignoring the request to put on her shoes.

No, Malia, Shiloh stays home. Please get in the garage to put your shoes on.

[Some of you are wondering: what's the problem with Shiloh, just let her bring him. The problem is Shiloh is about 3 feet long! Too big for the car. And quite frankly, no toys would have been permitted at this point because I'm getting irritated with her attitude.]

She stands still by Shiloh. I can see the internal debate going on in her head: what to do? what to do? Listen or ignore? Listen or ignore? Her decision is made when I see her grab Shiloh's tail and start dragging him across the floor. With her looking at me from under her lashes. Fully comprehending her actions. Daring me to take action.

I see red. I snatch Shiloh back and firmly place him on the sofa. OK OK, I admit it: I threw Shiloh like a missile at the sofa because I'm so angry with her. I say very loudly, very firmly, almost bellowing at her: "MALIA! I asked you to get in the garage and get your shoes on! NOW!"

And that's when I got The Look.

She threw it at me as she walked by. Walked by very slowly. More like a slow shuffle. Just to get my goat.

F-- Off.

Ugh.

No comments: