Saturday, February 14, 2009

My ranking as a Mom

At dinner today, I asked Malia if she loved her brother Kael, fully expecting her to say yes, like she always does. That's what she used to say, before The Change. But since The Change, she's been one of those kids who you want to lock in a dark closet for a major attitude adjustment.

Anyway, with an evil look in her eye, she looked squarely at Kael and said: "NO. I love Taede. I love Mommy. I love Daddy. I don't love Kael."

I was shocked. Not only was she being mean, she was purposefully being mean. It wasn't one of those "she doesn't know any better so please excuse what's coming out of her mouth" moments. What a brat! Kael was crushed and then got mad, as expected. He gave her the hairy eyeball and proceeded to renounce his brotherly love for her as well.

I attempted to diffuse the situation and boost Kael's morale by saying that I loved him. That started our game of "I love you as big as...". And from there I started questioning his love for me.

Me: Do you me more than your legos?
Kael: Yes.
giggles

Me: Do you love me more than candy?!
Kael: YES!
laughs

Me: Do you love me more than your bike?
Kael: Yes, Mom!
laughs hysterically

Me: Do you love me more than... silk worms?
Kael: Y--
then silence

He chokes on his yes as he realizes what I just asked.
He has to think about it.
He ponders the thought:
Mom. Silk worms.
Mom.... Silk worms....
Mom.
Silk. Worms.
hmmm....

Finally, he says yes, he loves me more than silk worms. But his yes is sort of a question, like he's not 100% sure.

Did you get that?! My son has to think about whether or not he loves me, his mother, more than those disgusting silk worms!!

Stupid worms.

1 comment:

Di Dodo Family Blog said...

i'm so glad i got your kid hooked on silk worms....