Saturday, August 9, 2008

Potential Honorary Godparents

Remember that I said Truong was going out of town this weekend? He told me it was for a partner's meeting in Marin County. I was a little suspicious when he told me that he was told to bring his golf clubs. Huh. "Important meeting." Yeah, sure.

Anyway, he called me yesterday on someone else's cell phone with a (916) area code. Turns out it was Dave's, another partner. Apparently where they were going, there is no cell phone reception -- at least not with ATT, only Verizon. So out of 7 partners at the meeting, only one guy has a working cell phone.

OK. No problem. Just call me from the hotel.

A little later he calls me again. From Dave's cell phone, again. And tells me that there is no meeting. At least not a traditional meeting like they were expecting. The Big Boss called the partners together to have a Partner's Retreat and Team Building Exercise. He rented 2 houses and the partners were to be split up (3 in one house and 4 in the other). They were kind of in the middle of nowhere and -- and this is the best part -- there are no telephones in the houses. He didn't even see a decent restaurant on the way over and the houses were empty of food and supplies.

I didn't understand; what does that mean "no telephones?" He replied: "That means I can't make any calls: no cell phone reception, no land line, and I can't even check my email with my broadband card. The only line out is with Dave's cell."

I was quiet. Then I said: "So in the case of an emergency, like say, I go into early labor, I have no way to get a hold of you?"

There was complete silence on the phone. Evidently he hadn't thought of that. Of course, the chance of me going into early labor is pretty slim (I've got about 4-5 weeks left), but I had to bring it up just to make him sweat since I was still irked that he left me solo-parenting for the weekend.

And I have to admit that I got some satisfaction from hearing the thread of anxiety in his voice. He told me to take Dave's number down and that he would ask Dave to keep the phone on him, just in case.

After we hung up, I thought about Murphy's Law and decided to call Shana, just to let her know the situation. I figure if I prepare for it, then nothing will happen. She took it in stride and said she'd give Patrick a head's up. We both got a chuckle at the thought of Patrick being my labor coach. She said something about "you should have seen the look on his face when I told him that." I told her that if a DiDodo ended up cutting the cord on Blub, I'd make them Honorary Godparents. I have no idea what a Godparent does as that's not a part of my Buddhist beliefs, but hey, if they are going to be elbow deep in an un-medicated labor with me, then they should get something out of it, right?

No comments: