Sunday, December 16, 2007

Malia "Imelda Marcos" Mai

Malia, despite all that I'm doing to raise her otherwise, is turning into quite a girly-girl.

She loves stuffed animals and dolls. She holds them tight, pets them, talks to them, and rocks them to sleep. It's really cute, if a little worrisome that we're going to end up with a room full of stuffed animals and dolls.

She loves wearing new clothes. I can't have her try anything on at the store because she will refuse to take them off. It turns into a battle of epic proportions so we just hope the item fits as we have to literally buy it off her back. She won't even let us take off the tags as she walks away wearing the brand new purchase.

She loves shoes. Loves them. And not just her shoes. Everyone's shoes. Especially shoes that look like ours. For example, the cute pair of Crocs that Truong bought her in Denver. She can't wear them yet because they are too big and they either fall off (and making her really mad), or they spin sideways as she takes a step, causing her to stumble or fall (and making her really mad). For these two reasons, I don't let her wear them. But sometimes she manages to find them and will bring them into the house.

Saturday night she suckered Dad into letting her wear them. Truong doesn't know the troubles we have said Crocs. I was upstairs getting the kids' shower ready so I didn't know. I just knew that she was wearing them because I heard Kael saying "You don't wear Crocs in the house!" And then I heard the shrieks of protest as Truong tried to remove them from her feet to take a shower. For a nano-second, I thought about giving Truong a helping hand and then that thought flew away. I fight battles all week, let Dad deal with this one skirmish.

In the background, I hear Kael saying again: "You don't wear them here!" and I thought: Truong better take them off now otherwise he's never going to be able to get them off her.

I was in Kael's room cleaning up when Truong got Malia out of the shower and into the kids' bathroom to get her lotioned up and dressed. I heard some shrieking from Malia and some pleading from Truong, and thought What the heck is going on?? I walk into the bathroom and this is what I see:




It appears she refused to take off the Crocs (I told you) and Dad being the softy that he is, allowed her to take a shower with said Crocs. When it came time to take them off so he could dry her, she freaked out and wouldn't let him do it. I ended up having to take them off, quickly dry them and put them back on her feet, with her flipping out until they were back on.

I asked him how was he going to put her clothes on and he said "Quickly." That's his game plan?! Okaayy. So I leave them to get Kael out before he floods our bathroom and I could hear angry screams of protest coming from the hallway. I finish with Kael and when I come out to check Truong's progress (Malia was still upset) this is what I see:






As you can clearly see, she's not a happy camper. But I have to hand it to Truong for trying.

No comments: