Saturday, June 7, 2008

The best laid plans...

Remember how my parents and my aunt and uncle are visiting from the Bay Area? And that they were leaving sometime Sunday or Monday in the RV?

Well, the RV broke down. It's a 2007 Sprinter so it's not as if it's a ramshackle tin can on 4 wheels. It can drive but it won't shift gears. It needs to be fixed before they can head home otherwise they are toast on the Grapevine. So we scramble to find not just an RV dealership, but a Winnebago RV dealership with a service department. And let me tell you, it was not an easy task. We finally find one, and are told that while we can drop it off today, they won't look at it until Monday. And that tells me nothing about how long it will take to fix. (I'm not going to dwell on that.)

Next we take on the Herculean task of unloading the RV. That meant taking out all their clothes and toiletries and FOOD. Remember, they won't have the RV for at least 2 days. Did I mention that my mom and aunt packed in enough food to distribute to 4 families? Mine and 3 other cousins. So it was a ton of food. It filled both my fridges to capacity and still had enough left over for 3 coolers and my counter top.

For tomorrow, they will have my car to motor around town visiting family. Come Monday however, they will need to rent a car as I have Kael to drop off at school, an OB appointment and Malia's gymnastics class. Hopefully we'll know by then exactly how long it will take to fix the RV.

Oh yeah. And Thien's family is still coming on Sunday and Thao's on Wednesday. So worse case scenario: I can potentially have 16 people staying at my house. Sharing my 2.5 bathrooms.

At least it's getting warm so at the very least the boys can camp out in the tent in the backyard. We'll just have to remember to turn off the sprinklers.

No comments: