Friday, June 6, 2008

$278 later...

We have a busy week ahead of us.

First, my parents are here visiting us, with my aunt and uncle. Actually, they are here for a wedding near Disneyland and I'm just a convenient pit-stop. No problem -- I'll take a visit any way I can get it as long I don't have to make that 7 hour trek myself. As usual, my mom is convinced that there are no stores within a 100 mile radius and loaded my aunt and uncle's little RV with food she made and brought down from San Jose. All my favorites... the fridge is packed. I mean really packed. Thank goodness we now have the extra fridge in the garage. I was giddy as I packed my goodies away, trying to decide what I wanted to eat first.

I think they are staying until Sunday or Monday.

Sunday afternoon Truong's brother Thien, his wife Maureen and their 10 month old baby Ronan arrive for a week long visit. I haven't seen Ronan in a while so I'm looking forward to seeing that butterball of baby chub. I need to get Malia used to seeing me hold another baby so this visit will be a good learning lesson for her. Thien told me he had a present for Kael. The way he said it, I immediately told him it better not be alive and if it is, it better be in a sealed container and move very slowly otherwise I'd kick his a--... er, butt. He just laughed and said you'll see.

Great.

Wednesday or Thursday Truong's sister Thao, her husband Robert and their 2 boys Thai (3yo) and Son (newborn) arrive for a week. Well, they actually didn't commit a week long visit. Thao said they'd stay until people got tired of the tight living quarters then they'd leave.

So, on a good day, we'd have as many as 12 people living at my house.

Did I tell you that Truong's gone much of June except for weekends? If he's not staying out of town, then he's home really late. I have to wonder if that was done on purpose.

So about the blog title "$278 later..."

Because I'm going to be living like the Little Old Lady Who Lived In A Shoe, Malia and I went to Bed Bath & Beyond to buy an Aerobed for our revolving guests. I found what I needed and we started walking towards the check-out counter. Along the way, we passed by the kids' bedding section, where they had a display of Mermaid bedding. Malia's eyes practically popped out of her head. Her current obsession is Mermaids. Any kind of mermaid, it doesn't matter. She stood in front of the display like it was a shrine. Then she said "Want it, mama! I want Mermaids!" I told her that this was bedding for a big girl bed and that she'd have to give up the crib. Since she loved the crib so much, I figured this was an easy out. However, I miscalculated the lure of the Mermaid. She immediately said "OK, I want big bed and mermaids."

Doh! Not what I wanted to hear. Sure, I realize that she'd have to move into a regular bed eventually, but she and Kael are still goofing around sharing the room. At least one of them is contained when she's in the crib. If she moved into a twin bed, then they'd never go to sleep! Imagine 2 little monkeys jumping on the bed...

I tried to talk her out of the bedding a few more minutes then I just gave up. Hell, if she's so in love with the dumb Mermaids, maybe that will be enough to keep her in bed.

So $278 later, we walked out of Bed Bath with an Aerobed and a full set of Mermaid bedding.

And then I realized that I'd have to hide the bedding from her for at least a week. I'm moving Kael and Malia into my room so Thien and his family can have their room. I can't set up the Mermaid bed and then move her 2 days later. She'd have a fit!


Here's the bedding. Mermaids galore.



And the comforter. Mermaid OD.



And the pillow. She's currently in love with this pillow. It's taken a spot next to Horsey during story time which makes story time very difficult for me. She and Horsey barely fit on my side with Blub front and center. It's near impossible with this pillow too. However, she's content with it and hasn't asked for the bedding so I'll juggle with the pillow for a week.

I figure when I get the kids camped out in my room, I'll break out the bedding as an incentive to keep her in her sleeping area. Too bad the tent no longer fits in our room -- that would have been a perfect "cage" for the kids.

No comments: