Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sushi Soup

I've been having a craving for sushi for about 2 weeks and tonight I was able to satisfy that craving. In fact I more than filled my craving.

As usual I "forgot" to take something out of the freezer to make for dinner so Truong said he'd take the family out for sushi. Since he and Patrick met up for a round of golf this afternoon, Truong invited the DiDodo's to dinner too. The kids woke up, the men came home (luckily it got dark early) and off we went to dinner.

The place we went to is tiny, owned by Shana's neighbor, but the food was simply delicious. We all sat down, the boys played (quite loudly despite numerous threats of being sent home, sent to the car, separated at the table and getting spanked -- none of which worked for very long), and Malia was very antsy (she was starved as she didn't eat much lunch). Our server took a very long time to get to us but that didn't faze the men as all through dinner all we heard was how "hot" she was. After commenting on the lack of concrete matter upstairs, we got a blank look from the men with the comment: "If she's that hot, who cares? Besides, we want our wives to be smart, not our mistress."

Okaayy. That's good to know. I'll have to remember that one.

Sushi Soup #1
The boys sat at the end of the table, facing each other. For the most part, they were pretty good so we didn't really have to watch over them much. Due to this, I didn't notice Ryan making a sushi soup until it was... well, I guess, done. I have to assume Shana was aware of it and was OK with its creation. He had a rice bowl where he slopped everything together and mixed it up. Like I said, I didn't pay attention to the creation of the soup, I just noticed it when Shana told Ryan that he was done and cleaned it up. It looked nasty, yet fun at the same time.

Sushi Soup #2
At the end of the meal, the boys each got a bowl of mango ice cream. Kael took one bite and was done. Ryan ate about half of his. The conversation at the table was quite lively so I didn't pay attention to what the boys were doing. Ryan once again started making a soup in his ice cream bowl. This time Kael also made a soup. However, it was clearly evident that Kael was merely a Soup Apprentice to Ryan's Master Standing: Kael's soup consisted of edaname shells, water, and a whole shrimp tempura sticking out of the bowl. It was a watery concoction that in no way grossed me out as Ryan's. Ryan's on the other hand had a thickish consistency (like thick salad dressing) and was murky in color. I could see... stuff... in there, like rice, bits of sushi (the tuna from a spicy tuna roll), some chewed up edaname beans, lumps of half melted mango ice cream, and some wasabi, to name a few items. He also added spoonfuls of soy sauce and tempura sauce for color. He basically took everything that was within reaching distance and added it to his sushi soup. As I watched in fascination, he very carefully stirred the soup so it was nicely smooth, uniform in its consistency. The whole table got quiet but I didn't notice this as I wondered what his next move was going to be. My thoughts were: "No, he's not, that would be disgusting." And yet, I knew Ryan and knew what he was capable of. The question was just how far would he go?

Slowly, as everyone watched him (probably with the same train of thought running through their heads), Ryan slowly lifted a spoonful of sushi soup to his mouth.... and slurped it up.

It. Was. Disgusting.

My shocked eyes flew to Shana's for confirmation that someone else was witnessing this and I saw the same shock reflected in her eyes. Even Patrick sat there with his mouth hanging open.

And Ryan looked around... and slurped up another spoonful.

Finally someone, I don't know who -- perhaps Truong, perhaps Patrick -- but someone finally broke the silence and said "NO MORE!! Stop eating that!"

And in response, Ryan said "Wait! One more!" and he very carefully took the bowl in his hands and sipped it like it was miso soup.

Ugh. My stomach still wants to hurl, reliving that moment.

I have a new respect for Ryan. I'll be carrying breath mints with me whenever we hang out with the DiDodo's, but I have to hand it to him: he really makes an outing interesting.

No comments: