Monday, January 14, 2008

"Mommy, do you have a baby in your tummy?"

Kael was two for two this weekend with uncomfortable questions. What are the odds of him asking those kinds of questions two days in a row?!

After our sushi dinner last night, as we were getting the kids ready for their shower, Kael came up to me and patted my tummy. He sort of rubbed his face in it and asked "Mommy, is there a baby in your tummy?" My breath caught, and I almost shrieked out "WHAT?!" as I locked eyes with Truong. As usual, our response was slow and before we could gather our thoughts, he moved onto Truong and repeated the same thing, and then to Malia.

OK, whew! This was just a random question, and not one directly directed towards me. Later, I come to find out that he was looking at Shana funny over dinner, as if he couldn't believe his eyes how big she got. I hadn't told him that Ms. Shana has a baby in her tummy. I don't know why, I guess I just took it as common knowledge. Anyway, Shana said he was looking at her funny and finally Ryan said "My mommy has a baby in her tummy." That opened up the dialog for some questions from Kael that Shana KNEW she should have warned me about. She said that she was going to call me to warn me it was coming, but didn't think he'd ask so quickly after dinner.

Thanks, Shana, thanks a lot! Note for the future: LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY!!!

Anyway, back at home, Kael asked Truong if he had a baby in his tummy and Truong responded: "What do you think, Kael?" Kael sort of laughed and went back to me. He asked me again: "Do YOU have a baby in your tummy, Mommy?"

Me: "No, I don't have a baby in my tummy, sweetheart."

He then lifts the hem of my shirt to rub his face against my belly. And then he kissed it -- it was a very sweet moment. Then he says: "If you don't have a baby in your tummy, then why is it so round?"

And the moment was lost.

No comments: