Saturday, January 12, 2008

Help me!

I knew it was a matter of time before Kael asked a question that would be uncomfortable to answer. However, even knowing this, I still wasn't prepared.

Today after a sweaty, sandy morning at the park with Josh and Ryan, we popped both kids in the shower for a quick rinse before nap. As he entered the shower stall, Kael asked to no parent in particular but obviously directed at both Mom and Dad: "Why do you have hair on your pee?" (meaning the pee area, not the pee product).

Yikes! He totally caught us off-guard. In no way shape or form were we expecting to field this kind of question at that precise moment. As a result, there was complete silence from Truong and I as we both looked at each other, willing the other to speak up first, playing the game of Silent-Chicken. Finally to get us more time, I said: "What did you say?" hoping he said something like "Why do you have a pear in your tree?" and I just heard it wrong.

Again, he repeated it, clear as a bell: "Why do you have HAIR on your PEE?"

By this time Truong recovered enough to respond with "When you get older you'll get hair there too." I thought that was a pretty good answer. It was the truth without getting into too many details that (1) I know Truong wouldn't be able to answer and (2) lead to any more embarrassing questions that he (Kael) wasn't ready to understand.

But unfortunately that answer wasn't good enough for Kael: "But why do you get hair there?" Truong repeated his "when you get older" answer and closed the shower door, hoping that was the end of that.

We put the kids down for their naps (I took Malia and Truong took Kael) then I ran some errands. When I returned, Kael was up and quietly playing with Truong. In passing, Truong very quietly told me that he asked IT again, before naptime; you know, the hair question. I chuckled, secretly relieved that Malia was still nursing so she was my responsibility, not Kael. Truong said that he keeps telling Kael when he gets older, blah blah blah... but he's not buying it!

Unfortunately, Crystal's Big Book of Why didn't cover the Why's of Pubic Hair so I'm prepping myself for a very simple, bare bones talk on hormones. To a 4.5 year old. Don't you wish you were a fly on my wall for that conversation.

If you have any suggestions, tips and/or pointers, please share. Seriously.

No comments: