Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Threesomes

I didn't realize that when we agreed to house the silk worms, that those fat caterpillars would turn into nympho-moths. I'm astounded at how determined these things are to hook up! I feel like a voyeur whenever I check on them. Kael is still as fascinated as ever in the whole process. He keeps asking to hold them but I'm not too comfortable letting him touch the moths while they.... uh... are having... ah... coitus.

Here are the cocoons. If you look towards the middle-bottom you can see our first moth. The cocoons are pretty neat. They are quite hard and the silk threads are pretty sturdy.










Kael isn't the only kid completely interested in the moths. Malia really REALLY wants to touch them too. Great, another bug lover. I can already envision the vast amount of bugs they are going to bring home.













Can you tell she likes using her pointy finger to get her message across? She points at everything! It's really funny.


















I wonder what she's going to do if we let her grab one? Put it in her mouth? Squish it like she squishes watermelon? Shake them like maracas?



















And the moment you've all been waiting for.... the threesome. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw these horny little buggars. Some of these guys look totally beat up - their wings are smashed to smithereens, their bodies are scraped up... like they are on their last legs. Apparently, they live for mating. Once they lay their eggs, they die. I haven't figured out what (and how) I'm going to tell Kael yet about that.

No comments: