Monday, June 25, 2007

Stuck between a Rock and a Wet Place

For the most part I've got the Mom thing down. Every once in a while I'll fumble a bit but I think I do a pretty good job. I run into trouble when the kids change the routine, whether it's sleeping later than usual and messing up the fine time management balance between the kids or when they are sick. I'm noticing lately the culprit throwing me off is MALIA.

Kael and I have a great rhythm: he's very much a routine kid. He gets quirky attitude issues as all 3 year olds do and his issues tend to go in cycles: great kid for 2 months, hell on wheels for 1 month. But I can reasonably predict him.

Malia is coming into her own. She knows what she wants and will very vocally tell you what she doesn't want. She also knows that the best way to get what she wants is by simply taking it and walking away as fast as she can while clutching the contraband item with both hands. Because she's so teeny tiny, her little attitude is kinda cute.

But that's not the monkey wrench in my finely tuned day. It's her nosiness and quick-of-feet'ness. Man, that baby is fast, and unfortunately, very quiet.

Truong came home late today so I had bathtime duties on my own. No sweat - I've done it before - I've got a system. Toss Kael in my shower with 20 pieces of stick-on dinosaurs while I bathe Malia in the kids' tub. Finish her up, let her roam then finish Kael. One TV show for Kael while I nurse and put her down then stories for Kael and tuck him in. No problem, cake walk!

Our shower head is a hand-held that's kind of high so I have to step into the shower on my tip-toes to unhook it. I shampooed Kael (which he hates) and reached up to take the nozzle down. I took one step out of the stall so I wouldn't get wet while rinsing him off. Next thing I know, two little hands clutching Kael's clean, dry jammies poke into the stall from behind me. Holy cow! I take the jammies and toss them back into the bedroom and tell Malia "go get them!" By this time she's seen the water - we all know she's part fish - and her face lights up like a Christmas tree. She lunges into the shower stall. I hold her back with one arm, my other arm has the nozzle and there's a big glob of shampoo sud slowly making its way down Kael's face.

You know how in certain situations a million thoughts rush through your head in a span of 2 seconds? I had one of those moments.

Can I miraculously grow 3 inches to hook up the shower head without taking a step in?
Can I rinse off Kael's shampoo with one arm without burning his eyes and forever scar him with shampoo-fear for the rest of his life?
Can I let go of the shower head and hope that it won't spray water all over the place?
Can I trust Malia to not climb over my leg while I rinse off Kael, thus getting a second soaking?
Darn it why do these things always happen to me when I'm alone?!!

Time was of the essence as the shampoo glob was picking up speed so I ended up stepping into the shower with Kael. Fully clothed. With Malia banging on the glass doors, looking very hurt at missing out on all the fun. I managed to rinse Kael off without getting completely soaked but then we were trapped. I couldn't open the door without knocking into Malia.

So there we were: Kael and I stuck in the shower stall, trying to get a 13 month old to step aside while the baby was trying to get in. What finally freed us was a tactic learned from having 2 dogs: I threw Kael's toothbrush through a 2 inch gap I managed to get open and like a good nosy girl, she went to investigate and promptly stuck it into her mouth.

The lesson I learned today: make sure I have a good supply of clean toothbrushes in the shower.

No comments: