Thursday, June 28, 2007

It's the Last Day of School!

It's the last day of school and throughout the state children everywhere are celebrating. Kael hasn't grasped the concept yet and is quite upset with the prospect of not going to school. I can take that in two ways: (1) he loves school and that's a good thing; or (2) he's so bored at home with me and his sister that he loves school.

For me, it's a bittersweet moment. My baby completed a major milestone in his life. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know - it's 'just preschool.' It's still a major step. I remember the first couple of weeks when he started: the crying, the fierce hugs, the 'why are you leaving me in this strange place with strange people??' looks. It was just as hard for ME as it was for him. It was the first time I had to leave him to seek comfort elsewhere, not in my arms. It was heartbreaking.

But he not only survived, he thrived. He is such a different kid now. Over the course of the year he's become a 'little person,' maturing from my little baby boy. He's saying stuff and doing things and singing songs that didn't originate from me. It makes me realize how important teachers are in our children's lives. I know it's a cliche but kids really are like little sponges - who you as a parent choose to be around them and have an influence on them plays a great role in who they become as they grow up. When he comes home from school saying things that I know Ms. Jackie said in class, it makes me smile - both in merriment of his parroting and poignancy that someone else has stepped into his life and left a footprint in it.

Next year he goes to a different school, which I'm torn about. On the one hand, I know it will be good for him as the new school has a great record for academics, more teacher support from the administration and more resources (read: more money); and on the other, I'm sad because he'll be leaving the familiarity of the old school and his friends: the 2 Maxes, Josh, Justin, his 'girlfriends' Abby and Emma, Tyler, Nikki, Paradese, Alex.... Luckily kids are incredibly resilient and I know Kael will make new friends in no time.

Here are some pictures of the Last Day of School party:

Kael and friends playing with bubble wands. Under normal circumstances, I would be very alarmed at a bunch of kids staring at the ground so intently. What are they looking at? A squashed bug? Are they touching it? Poking it?





























The kids in the classroom eating their personal pizzas courtesy of Cortina's - the best pizzeria in town! Patrick hand-made each little pizza (19 in all) that morning and made the delivery in time for lunch.



















Just like UFO sightings, Bigfoot sightings, and the Lochness Monster sightings, here's a very rare picture of Kael doing something he almost never does: EATING!













Ms. Jackie opening her gift from the boys (Kael, Josh and Ryan). Remember the tye-die picture from the 'Summer of Love' post? Ms. Jackie started crying and it almost made me tear up. She's Kael's first teacher and I think she will always have a place in his heart.


























Ms. Jackie and Kael with the card he made for her. He signed his name on the lower left side.




















And the Class of 2007, happily loading up on sugar before going home. Thanks!!

No comments: