Thursday, June 21, 2007

ECHO... Echo....echo....

Tonight Kael is having a sleep-over at Ong-Ba's house (grandparents). This is a quasi-ritual with them where at the end of the week Kael gets his Ong-Ba's undivided attention with no parental interference to getting his way. "Quasi" because it's sort of an unspoken deal - pending any out-of-town trips, visitors, social engagements, he's usually over there getting spoiled rotten.

He always has a great time and the quality time he gets with his grandparents is priceless. Truong and I get a break, and we get to spend quality time with Malia. Everyone wins.

But gosh, I miss the little buggar!

We ate dinner and it was strangely quiet. Malia ate earlier and was cruising around the house, leaving a trail of Cheerios behind her like she was Hansel and Gretal (minus Hansel). Truong and I chatted about our day
while we ate , his work, plans for tomorrow... then we ate some more... played with Malia when she cruised by. Dinner was eaten in such a calm, collected manner. No questions thrown out of left field ("Mommy, is ice-cream spicy? Are silkworms nice? Do ladybugs fly far? Are brown beetles mean? Do you remember that mean lady at Target?"), no debate as to how many more bites until he's done, no nagging to take another bite so he can get done - it was just a nice normal dinner.

And I missed him so much! He's only been gone for 2 hours and I'm already wondering what he ate for dinner, what he did with Ba, did he listen to Ong, how many stories is he going to sweet-talk Ba into reading, did he brush his teeth in the way way back?

I'm such a sap! Every minute is so precious that I panic when I miss even a single one. What if he says something totally wacky and off-the-wall and I miss it?? As much as I want to drive over there and take him home, I know this time apart is good for both of us. He needs to identify himself and be comfortable away from mom and dad, and we need to know that he's OK without our constant hovering over him.

When Malia starts talking like her brother and they start having parallel conversations, I'm sure I'll read this post and laugh my a$$ off, thinking how crazy I was, not knowing what to do with some peace and quiet in the house.

No comments: